Upgrade hpop on not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade hpop on not

I have an early 99 f350 with stock injectors and turbo. I have ford ais intake and 4" mbrp exhaust. Would it Benefit me to upgrade from stock 15 to t500 terminator? Or even an adrenaline? I use for daily driving but also pull a 30' 7500lb trailer for camping? Has a hard time up hills and keeping it at 70 on highway. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You need to test your HPOP to see what condition its in. Dont just blindly replace it.

I'd check your fuel pressure first and replace the FPR. $70 is better than $700 and i bet thats where you find some of your lost power. After that, look for boost leaks and up pipe leaks
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM

And even before spending the $700 on a HPOP I would save a bit more and just throw a set of stage 1 or AC code injectors...

but as was said before, check the ICP pressures and duty cycles, pump may be fine.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:59 PM

ok, but wouldn't a hpop upgrade help protect his engine regardless, maybe just do it not quite to the ones mentioned but to a superduty 2000-2003? less expensive route and provide better lube for that baby? have not done it yet to mine either but not towing quite that much yet and still considering it for a upgrade.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 PM

would also recommend either a program or a chip for the towing bro, world of diff as i have 4in tubo back and open air intake was only mods before, so sounds like we are in the same field.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx4forfun View Post
ok, but wouldn't a hpop upgrade help protect his engine regardless, maybe just do it not quite to the ones mentioned but to a superduty 2000-2003? less expensive route and provide better lube for that baby? have not done it yet to mine either but not towing quite that much yet and still considering it for a upgrade.
If he doesnt need one he doesnt need one. A 15* HPOP will feed stock AB injectors fine, so long as its not worn out.

Without ICP levels and duty cycles we dont know.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Banned

hpop has nothin to do with lubrication
Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow thanks. I wasn't expecting so many responces so quick. Last post I did was a month ago and still no responces. So this is great thanks. I have no access to scanner, but I have to build a fuel pressure gauge will get back with fuel pressure this weekend. Any other test I could do would help thanks. Also if anyone has any ideas on my last post about truck sputtering only when warm. That would also be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Take a look at AutoEnginuity. Its going to cost around $350 but it will save you hours and hours of heartache and head scratching. I wouldnt diagnose a 7.3 without one (or an equivalent).

The one thing it cant do is indicate fuel pressure. Get yourself a gauge. Honestly, if the truck has over 100k miles, I'd replace the FPR ($70). Do NOT shim it. Do not put a BB in the thing - replace it.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiocontr View Post
Take a look at AutoEnginuity. Its going to cost around $350 but it will save you hours and hours of heartache and head scratching. I wouldnt diagnose a 7.3 without one (or an equivalent).

The one thing it cant do is indicate fuel pressure. Get yourself a gauge. Honestly, if the truck has over 100k miles, I'd replace the FPR ($70). Do NOT shim it. Do not put a BB in the thing - replace it.
MEH....

I have put over 250-280k on everyone of my 6 powerstrokes over the years...

Never once replaced a FPR spring. Not once.

Its not a part I worry about, if your making 50-60psi or better leave it alone. If your making 50 or so I would shim it... but thats just me, a guy who drives the piss out of these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hpop, upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.