Turbo Questions ????????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Questions ?????????

Ok, i am just now beginning to read up on and research about the options for improving the turbo for better performance/response time, etc. I don't know whole lot about turbos so i will just throw some questions out there. First, i have the 02 F250 PSD 7.3l and use the truck mostly in town and high driving, i don't tow much, other than a 18' boat. Turbo seems to be functioning fine but i'm always trying to improve... Seems like i read somewhere that people have installed larger turbos on there trucks??? not sure though. What are the most common mods for either better efficiency and/or better performance? I do plan on getting a Phoenic 6 pos. chip... Should i do anything to my turbo before i add the chip? or should i change to larger injectors before the chip and do nothing to the turbo???

Currently, i have changed the air intake to the 6637 filter, added Gauges(trans, Pyro and boost), and lifted with 6" lift and 35" tires. Everything else is stock

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

Even with a chip you're gonna have surge, a ww can somewhat help but its more of a bandaid. 38r is a good drop in
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM

thanks Bruce ... 38r drop in??? do you have a little more info on that? Not upto to speed on turbos yet.. you have a link to some info i can research/
Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Banned

Its a garrett drop in direct replacement turbo, ball bearin, 66mm inducer, 1.0 exhaust housin on most. Price has dropped to like 1300 for a new one
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 AM

The Garrett GTP38R Ball Bearing turbo is the best all around option on the market. The problem is, they are currently on national back order. We should have more in a week or so though according to Garrett. We have 100 on order.

Garrett 739619-5004S GTP38R Ball Bearing Turbo Kit 99.5-03 7.3L Power Stroke
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you plan on getting bigger injectors later on down the road? Whats your plan for the truck?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Campbellflage, Yes but depending on price and budget not sure how soon. I plan on keeping the truck and improving the performance as much as i can. So near plans are to change exhaust to 4" all the way with no muffler, add the Phoenix 6 pos. chip. I am also looking at the doing the rr on the fuel system. so depending on price of everything, if it makes more since to upgrade injectors at the same time i upgrade turbo then .. yes something i will try and do. i dont want to over spend unnecessarily but dont mind spending extra if its worth it... if you know i mean.. any suggestions i'd appreciate

thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 PM

DSTRBD, what can I expect in differences in that from stock setup?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

with stock injectors you won't really feel much difference in power but it will lower egt and prevent surge
Old 06-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfifeco View Post
Campbellflage, Yes but depending on price and budget not sure how soon. I plan on keeping the truck and improving the performance as much as i can. So near plans are to change exhaust to 4" all the way with no muffler, add the Phoenix 6 pos. chip. I am also looking at the doing the rr on the fuel system. so depending on price of everything, if it makes more since to upgrade injectors at the same time i upgrade turbo then .. yes something i will try and do. i dont want to over spend unnecessarily but dont mind spending extra if its worth it... if you know i mean.. any suggestions i'd appreciate

thanks
If I could do it all over again I would go with a kit like the one Irate diesel sells and run something like the s366, the 38r is good but more options with the other setup. I ended up getting the 38r and then bought up pipes cause mine were leaking so I was right at about 2000 for a couple hundred more it would have been worth it to me to have spent it and had more options down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.