Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Questions ?????????

15K views 141 replies 15 participants last post by  chrisgrimes2186 
#1 ·
Ok, i am just now beginning to read up on and research about the options for improving the turbo for better performance/response time, etc. I don't know whole lot about turbos so i will just throw some questions out there. First, i have the 02 F250 PSD 7.3l and use the truck mostly in town and high driving, i don't tow much, other than a 18' boat. Turbo seems to be functioning fine but i'm always trying to improve... Seems like i read somewhere that people have installed larger turbos on there trucks??? not sure though. What are the most common mods for either better efficiency and/or better performance? I do plan on getting a Phoenic 6 pos. chip... Should i do anything to my turbo before i add the chip? or should i change to larger injectors before the chip and do nothing to the turbo???

Currently, i have changed the air intake to the 6637 filter, added Gauges(trans, Pyro and boost), and lifted with 6" lift and 35" tires. Everything else is stock

thanks in advance

#3 ·
thanks Bruce ... 38r drop in??? do you have a little more info on that? Not upto to speed on turbos yet.. you have a link to some info i can research/

#6 ·
Do you plan on getting bigger injectors later on down the road? Whats your plan for the truck?

#7 ·
Campbellflage, Yes but depending on price and budget not sure how soon. I plan on keeping the truck and improving the performance as much as i can. So near plans are to change exhaust to 4" all the way with no muffler, add the Phoenix 6 pos. chip. I am also looking at the doing the rr on the fuel system. so depending on price of everything, if it makes more since to upgrade injectors at the same time i upgrade turbo then .. yes something i will try and do. i dont want to over spend unnecessarily but dont mind spending extra if its worth it... if you know i mean.. any suggestions i'd appreciate

thanks

#10 ·
If I could do it all over again I would go with a kit like the one Irate diesel sells and run something like the s366, the 38r is good but more options with the other setup. I ended up getting the 38r and then bought up pipes cause mine were leaking so I was right at about 2000 for a couple hundred more it would have been worth it to me to have spent it and had more options down the road.

#8 ·
DSTRBD, what can I expect in differences in that from stock setup?

Sent from my PG86100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 ·
Bruce, so if I also upgrade injectors to larger then I would see increase power from the 38r along with reduced egt and prevent surge???

#12 ·
yes, with a diesel more green juice+ more air = more power:scuffy

#13 ·
if you are thinking bigger injectors you may want to get them first, before a chip. so that it can be tuned accordingly. it may be cheaper in the long run rather than paying for a reburn later to compensate for the turbo/injector upgrade. on the other hand if you have $1300 to dump on a turbo and about the same for injectors the few hundred it will cost you for a chip might not matter:poke

#14 ·
cowboy has a point. Whats your budget, that way people on here can maximize a suggested setup with your goal in mind

#15 ·
Well Cowboy's point is well taken, kind of on the other end of that spectrum. Don't have the 1300+- to throw at turbo or injectors at once. Didnt realize they quite that high. Budget isnt that big. So i would definitly have to do these upgrades in smaller chunks.

What are the alternatives to just throwing $1500 to 2000 (or even more, i just checked other prices) for another Turbo and the same for Injectors? the idea that Bruce had about doing 38r drop in (not sure exactly what all of that involves) but thought i saw a price of that around $500 ???? ish ??? i think.

But ultimately i do what more power and performance and i do realize you get what you pay for... so i would be willing to spend that kind of money $1500ish if it is worth it but could spend that kind of money for both turbo and injectors at once. Logic kind of tells me that you dont want to skimp on the Injectors so put your money in the injectors but maybe you can increase Turbo performance in more economical ways than to just replace the entire unit????

#16 ·
then i would suggest injectors first and then a (custom tuned) chip, your stock turbo will support quite a bit for a while. you will just have to use a little foot smoke control and watch your EGT's. save up for a turbo upgrade later.

#17 ·
Cowboy, ok that makes since, but when you say custom tune chip I guess you mean the $495 version of the phoenix PHP 6 position chip.

#18 ·
if you get injectors you have to have custom tunes bein that you go from split shot to single shot, you can't get injectors then wait a month and get tunes, don't work that way. seein that you have an 02 there is a 95 percent chance you have pmrs. i suggest turbo before injectors because stock injectors and a 38r is better than bigger injectors with a stock turbo

#19 ·
you might not have to go that route.... kind of depending on what you do for injectors (stage 1 or 2 ect.) the best thing to do would be call Bill (PHP) and tell him what you have and ask for what his opinion is. they will be able to give you those kind of answers. but usually if your going big fuel, big oil, or big air custom tunes are in your future.

#20 ·
tfifeco here is a link to help you along in your injector journey, in case you didnt understand the stages and split/ single shot ect. this is one of the respected places that does it... that i just happened to have bookmarked:p
Rosewood Diesel Shop

#21 ·
Ok thanks for the link, I will be reading up a lot on injector stages now. I don't know much about them yet either.

But it sounds like I have 2 main choices, either do injector first with a custom tune chip or turbo first with a custom tune chip. But either way I will still need to get reburn once I follow up with the turbo or injectors down the road.

I may start with a std $295 PHP chip and enjoy the ride while I make up my mine on the injectors or the turbo, and just reburn then

#22 ·
that works too keep it cheap for now and still have a little fun, good luck!

#23 ·
OKAAY, the reading and learning has begun LOL, Reading through the info you sent on Rosewood Diesel.... right now my biggest question is the difference between the different Stages (1,2, and 3) - Also, what EXACTLY, does the stock "split shot" mean??? and the "Single Shot" on the Stages mean?? Right now i am just trying to understand how they work so that i can make an informed decision on which one to go with when i am ready. Because, the way i look at it is, Looking at the Rosewood prices, if am already spending over $1300 on Stage 2 injectors then i would definitly want to spend the extra $300 for the stage 3 injector IF and ONLY IF they are worth it. So any help in understanding the differences in the Stages i would definitly appreciate.

Bruce - also, what you say does make total since, and i may decide to do that, "New or upgraged Turbo on Stock injectors on my truck is better than New Injectors on stock Turbo"

thanks again on all of the info.

#24 ·
I hate the term "stage so and so" call an injector what it is. stock injectors are 140cc split shot a code injector. The split shot is just a 2 stage injection to reduce emissions. Stage 1 is a 160cc single shot commonly refered as ac code injectors. Stage 2 is a 160cc a code injector with either a 80-100% nozzle meanin it flows 80-100% more fuel per time. Stage 3's are mostly hybrids, 200+cc with 30%+ nozzles. Hybrids are unique because the require less hpo than a codes bein as they have a 5:1 injection ratio to the 7:1 of an a code. There is tons of info out there

#25 ·
ok thanks Bruce, i am just callin them based on what i am reading, lol... Just trying to understand the differences so i can decide what upgrade to go with... that said, does that mean the Stage 1 single shot 160cc considered a downgrade?, Upgrade? or basically the same in terms of performance as the stock injectors i have on my truck? and does the 160cc of the stage 1 mean it flows more fuel than the 140cc of the stock injector? with that, would all this mean that the Stage 2 injectors are considered a HUGE upgrade to the Stock? And How do the Stage 3 Hybirds compare to all of this? Are people staying away from the Stage 3 for any reason?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my head around all this

#26 ·
Stage 1's are good for 380ish, 2's are good for 450ish and hybrids have a wide spectrum of power ranges. You have pmrs, i would go with a 200/80 and an sd66. No need for studs or spring or hpop or extreme fuel system mods.

#28 ·
Yep i pretty much figured i have the PMRs based on what i have read when researching the PHP chip. But can you explain a little on your recommendation? what do you mean by 200/80and an sd66??? no need for studs, springs and hpop??? would you mind explaining, not sure i understand why i wouldnt need that... And when you say no need for extreme fuel system mods??? i am assuming you arent talking about the Regulated return fuel mod, lol

thanks again for you info

#27 ·
this is really getting out of my range of understanding too, but im pretty sure you get 20cc more fuel with both stage 1 and stage 2 the only advantage to stage 2 is that it keeps the split shot configeration the computer is familiar with so that you dont have to have a chip for it to run. stage 3 is just more fuel 200 something cc's per shot but i believe they are also single shot. hope i got this right and hope this helps

#31 ·
Ok so that is a huge advantage the Stage 2 has over the stage 1 or 3 - you dont NEED a chip or custom progamming to make them work properly. And with the a chip configured optimally you can get up to 450hp... I like it :D

Also, logic tells me that more fuel flow on these upgraded injectors means of course much better performance but much worse MPGs? or are they more effiicient and the MPGs arent that bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.