Coolant flush in a 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant flush in a 7.3

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I have found conflicting statements online and I wanted to start my own thread for clarification. Im doing a full coolant flush in my 2001 7.3 tomorrow. The truck came with green coolant when I bought it. I would like to switch to the Motorcraft Premium Gold coolant, but ive read online that this shouldnt be used in a truck already running the green, and i also read it shouldn't be used in certain years of the 7.3. Hoping for some clarification here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here is a great write up on coolant flush mine had green and I didnt care. I switched to red severe duty coolant and havent had any problems since and my gauge reads a little bit cooler also, but my coolant was gross when I got the truck at 100k. I doubt it had ever been changed.

Ford Super Duty Coolant Flushing Procedure | Superdutypsd.com
Old 06-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

At the very beginning of the write up he talks about the red and green coolants under the various tips.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM

I've been reading coolant info for hours online trying to get a handle on this, but there is so many opinions out there that it's making my head spin. I wanted to go with the safe bet and install the Motorcraft Gold, but I just read on fordparts.com that it should not be used in an engine originally equipped with the green coolant ESE-M97B44-A . I just installed a Dieselsite coolant bypass filter...are there any issues with running the Green or Gold coolant with the bypass system? It wont filter the corrosion prohibitive nitrates and silicates out of the fluids, right? Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but I never realized how complex coolant topics are until the last few days.

Last edited by E-Man; 06-01-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No matter what you have in there now, or what year the truck is, Gold just isn't up to the job...

It doesn't even meet Internationals requirements. A good ELC is the answer. You really Do Need to determine what's in your engine now before you do this. If it IS the Green coolant and you want to upgrade to an ELC, you have to do a Very Through job of removing any traces of that old coolant.

Instead of looking here in the "Performance Forum" (where your question doesn't really belong ) look in the General Forum and search "Flush" maybe (the Search Engine on the board is pretty useless, use the Google Search here instead.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

that i could not tell you, but i do not see why if you do a proper flush (which will remove all of the green coolant) you can not run red coolant. If my truck can run red your truck can run red we have the same truck with the same parts.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
No matter what you have in there now, or what year the truck is, Gold just isn't up to the job...

It doesn't even meet Internationals requirements.
Can you elaborate on this please? From what ive read on other sites I thought the Motorcraft Gold was approved by Ford and International, but no ELC was approved for use.

Sorry if this threads in the wrong spot, but I did search the entire site and others using google.

Last edited by E-Man; 06-01-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM

I think in the E99's and down, you can't use an ELC (red coolant) because of seals, other stuff, etc.
But in late 99s and up to 03, you can use whatever. Should use an ELC that meet's CAT's EC-1 rating.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Can you elaborate on this please? From what ive read on other sites I thought the Motorcraft Gold was approved by Ford and International, but no ELC was approved for use.

Sorry if this threads in the wrong spot, but I did search the entire site and others using google.
Here, I did it For you....

01 7.3 coolant type?
When did ford go to the gold coolant?
2000 7.3litre antifreeze question
coolant additive
Old 06-01-2012, 05:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
E99 and before, run green with SCAs added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.