Help choosing performance upgrades needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help choosing performance upgrades needed

Again I am new to diesel's and the aftermarket for my early 99 Super Duty. Will the fact that its an early build be a problem? I want to do the following:
1. Intake: I am undecided which brand to go with. I know I want a filter, tube and some sort of shroud. I actually am leaning towards an AEM workhorse, wondering if anyone had any issues or can recommend something better. Also been looking at intakes like Volant which are enclosed in a box and was curious about the benefits of this.
2. Exhaust: Looking for a complete exhaust. MBPR is what I've been looking at but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I want a 4" system with dual tips exiting on the passenger side behind the rear wheel, kinda like an 08 but with some double wall tips. So I'm not sure if I should just get a pipe that branches out into two or have a dual out muffler? Also which meterials are better than others and which are too pricey. This is a year round driven truck and will see a lot of road salt. Any help here would be appreciated.
3. Gauges: Another area I'm not too knowledgeable about. Want them to be mounted in the A pillar but don't know if any pods are better than others, fit better or are painted. I have an early 99 with tan interior. Also I would like the gauges to have the option have having illumination that can change color.
4. Transmission: Rather than getting into the transmission I am considering the Banks transcommand?
5. DP Tuner, from what I've read can't go wrong here.
Any suggestions or comments on whether I'm on the right track or not is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
im fat and ugly

sounds like you have a good plan,

for intake afe stage 2 is the best out there

for exhaust, our site vendor has a killer deal on a 4" turbo back ...farmboydiesel get ahold of gus hes a great guy
Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
1. If you are replacing your intake - you can choose any you like -- most recomment the AFE stage 2 and do the Zoodad mod

2. MBRP is good - I am not sure about the duals on one side like the 08's -- might talk to Gus at Farm Boy's Diesel about that -- Stainless is better than Alumanized (unless you are in a non salty enviroment, then it doesn't really matter as you can get stainless tips) but Gus has a SWEET deal going on right now...

3. Isspro or Autometer are the recommended ones around here -- you will need EGT, Boost, and Trans temp. Just look into the different models to see while suits your taste.

4. don't know anything about the Banks Transcommand, so will leave that to those that do (willypscustoms is selling one)

5. DP is good and Tony Wildman is just as good or better - generally considered THE 7.3 guy

Hope that helps!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
k here are the answers i got
1) AFE stage 2 intake is the best 99-2003 AFE stage 2 w/pro-guard 7
2) MBRB is a very good system.. go with 304 SS since you see alot of salt... havnt heard of a MBRP system that has dual exit points behind the rear wheel on the same side
3) autometer Gauges
4) ive heard good things of the transcommand from people that have run it
5) DP is by far one of the best chips....
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
AFE stage 2 and the Ford/Donaldson are the only aftermarket intake systems available for the early99. All others require attachment to the late99 mounting system which we do not have. I use to have a late99 system I modified to work and it sucked. Now I have an AFE with the ZooDad mod and it is awesome.

Keep Strokin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.