4" or 3.5" down pipe?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" or 3.5" down pipe??

I'm upgrading a few things on my truck I just bought its bone stock right now. 2003 7.3 F-250 AT Crew Cab Long bed Lariat 4X4 97,000miles plans are Autometer Gauges on Pillar (being shipped now), AFE Stage 2 Intake, 5" Exhaust, and finally TS 6 Position Programmer for now. When parts start to fail they will get upgraded then like injectors, turbo, fuel pump, ect. My question is has anyone notice any power loss in the low RPM's when running a 4" down pipe vs. The 3.5"?? I found a few 4" down pipe to 5" strait systems and I love to tone of a strait 5" but I have heard this from a small hand full of people that the 4" made them lose bottom end power but wasn't sure if its something I should take into consideration or just someone who screwed up somewhere and don't have a clue about diesels?? I'm new to owning a Diesel but have spent my entire life around them and just trying to build this one the way I want it but with the best outcome possible.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You're going to get the same response people receive when asking if a 5" exhaust is too big. Do you need the low end? Do you need it so much that you'll notice and dislike the loss? Most peoples answer will be no... In that case do what you want, go for the sound you want... But that's my opinion

On another note 4" will fit but is tight.. I personally see no reason to go with a 4" over a 3.5". I've seen big hp with 3.5" DP.. Then there's the other side of the coin that says the more movement you have the better (and lower EGT's), etc
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM

go 4 inch my egts went down 400 degress spools a little better (ITS A GOOD IDEA)
Old 05-02-2012, 12:12 PM

there is no difference between a 4" and 5" in performance. Only sound. The outlet of the turbo is 4" so once you hit 4" the choke point becomes you turbo, not your downpipe. But at least get 4" downpipe or else you are restricting your truck after the turbo. I gained low end tourqe and dropped egts with the 4". Its hard to notice empty but when pulling heavy loads it makes a huge difference.

My 4" system from MBRP lined up great. didnt have any issues with the dp fitting. I have intsalled two and both were very easy to do.

Last edited by jacobm24; 05-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info guys! I'll keep ya posted on the upgrades as they come. My pillar pod just came in now to order the gauges and buy a cheap on to gut to use as a mount for my 6 position switch. Then the AFE stage 2 and exhaust will go on and the tuner will get installed after those are on. My plans are to leave it at that and then upgrade other things start to fail.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM

4" Definitely! Mine fit with room to spare.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yea, kind of a "no-brainer"
Attached Thumbnails
4" or 3.5" down pipe??-downpipedifference.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff_cspires View Post
Thanks for the info guys! I'll keep ya posted on the upgrades as they come. My pillar pod just came in now to order the gauges and buy a cheap on to gut to use as a mount for my 6 position switch. Then the AFE stage 2 and exhaust will go on and the tuner will get installed after those are on. My plans are to leave it at that and then upgrade other things start to fail.
I mounted mine on the panel to the left of my little cubby hole thing, and my brother did his next to his 4wd switch. It is easy, looks clean and is easy to reach. Plus it is free if you have a drill and bit.

The gauge thing is a good idea but it costs money and it seems like it would be more out of the way (in a sense) when you want to switch tunes. Just my opinion/input though!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:00 AM

4" most definitely man, get those egt's down and fits fine, 2 man job though is best, 1 holding it from underneath while man up top bolts her up.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM

yeah, 6 pos chip, the removable panel right at your left knee, just drill her, you can reach and still have a eye on the road, thats where mine is and the east tx boys installed it, they said thats where most all their installs go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3.5" down pipe, 4" down pipe, 5" exhaust, performace parts, upgrades

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.