ac compressor?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ac compressor??

alright guys... my ac turns on when it wants to.. when i turn my ac on sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesnt. and when it doesnt and i leave it in the on position i can hit a bump and it turns on sometimes. its really annoying. ive posted about this a while ago and people said it was the ac compressor clutch.. before i go and buy a new ac compressor i just want to make sure that this is the problem and its not a switch or something. florida summer is just toooooo hot! any input would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

A little more info would be nice. What are your refrigerant pressures when its running, what does your compressor sound like when it first engeges, have you checked the terminal connector with a meter?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM

idk what the pressures are and idk how to check and as far as what is sounds like when i turn the ac on, its like when you turn your truck off after your ac was running and then you turn your ac off.. it sounds like a release of air kinda.. but no ac.. and idk what terminal your talking about.. sorry for the lack of info.. i dont really know how the ac system works
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM

Well, if the A/C is too low on refrigerant it will not turn on due to a pressure switch preventing it to turn on. If the Clutch is worn it will sometimes make a bit of a grinding sound until the clutch fully locks. If it is turning on based on vibration or jerking it might just be a loose/faulty connection.
The easiest way to figure it all out is to pull the electrical connector from your compressor and check the wiring to see if it is getting voltage.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM

If you say it turns off and on when you hit bumps on the road then it sounds to me like an electrical issue. Check voltages and connectivity
Old 04-30-2012, 04:07 PM

alright ill try looking at the connections tomorrow and get back to you guys
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the clearance between the AC clutch plate and the compressor plate is too big. Same thing with mine a year or so back. If you can tap the front clutch plate with a wrench and it engage while the truck is running and AC on high then the clearance is too great. A washer can be removed behind the clutch plate to reduce the clearance and get it within spec. Google this and it will give you a step by step. About a 15 min fix. Betcha this is your problem cuz mine was doing the same thing with the bumps.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I also had the clutch gap issue on mine

Start here
SpringerPop's Compressor Clutch Air Gap

Also check the pressure on the system. Get a set of gauges or rent them from autozone.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

check/wiggle the harness/plug at the compressor, I had a break in the wire and it did the exact same thing, a ziptie fixed it.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had a bad connection that did this. Start the truck up and turn the AC on. You should see the compressor spinning, if it's not try moving the wires around and watch to see if the compressor kicks on again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.