IYO what's best? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IYO what's best?

I have read on here over months now that DP is possibly the best tune for a 7.3. So, I ordered one a couple days back along with an over boost controller. I also ordered a Stage 1 AFE intake at the same time. Today I drove to VA to pick up a new exhaust since my performance one is rusted out. So when I get to the shop selling the exhaust he tells me I possibly didn't get the best items for the truck. He says a Stage 2 AFE is by far a better performer and that the Edge Evolution is the tops in the 7.3 market. He said chips are a joke basically. He builds diesels and dynos them and says he has more experience than almost anyone. So, is he right? It's too late to send anything back and I probably wouldn't if I could. But, I would like to hear opinions about what I bought.

PS, I have gauges so no need for a tuner with that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i dont think you made a mistake.. from what i read there are a few go to guys on the 7.3 and dps one of those..
you will probably get a response from more people in the know shortly..
i just put my dp in last week and am tickled pink..
had an old 70 hp chip in before. when i put this chip on 80 hp econo it was like night and day, and once i switch to 120 another huge leap in performance.. i think you'll be happy
Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Yahoo to AMMO22
I have been a into high performance diesel for a few years now and the guy you talked to might know a thing or two about diesel, but he only said what he said because he sales those items. A multi position chip is the only way to go! For at least 2 reasons 1. its adjustable on the fly 2. it programmed specifically to your truck, where as the edge stuff is universal. The intake you did fine on as well, not a huge difference in the stg 1 & 2 IMO. Don't worry, I'm an honest person (unlike the exhaust guy) and you can't beat a DP tuner (I had one too on my 7.3L).
Old 09-28-2007, 04:31 PM
MARSOC > Seals

well not only dp but any custom tunes you can't beat on 7.3L... i am gonna send my TS off to Tony Wildman to get some tunes put on...

Last edited by najaf4life; 09-28-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: for got a t
Old 09-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have looked into this for a long time, IMO a chip will blow anything Edge when you do mods, and get the bug to keep doing them. I look at this way, Edge is pre-programmed with what they find to work. If you go DP or Twildman or TS they can give you generic tunes but then if you add water-meth, NO2, anything more Edge can't do anything. A chip will be custom tuned from DP orWildman, Edge is not custom tuning. Look at the 6.0's custom tuning will blow away and Edge. Plus with chip you can change settings and be ready to race/smoke/tow. I don't think you made a mistake, I am dying to get a custom chip just to show up a guy I know who runs Edge and thinks its the best.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:36 PM
MARSOC > Seals

well not only that you are talking about adding water-meth, etc... well if you get a chip from Tony and down the road you get different mods.. you can send the chip back to Tony to get it reprogramed for free for your mods that you just added...
Old 09-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Thanks guys! I hate to spend $$$ only to find out it was not on the best choices. So, I did well according to you all. Next year the truck will receive water injection so I guess it will just take a call to DP to get the tune right.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM
MARSOC > Seals

just make sure you get some gauges to watch everything... and something else that won't hurt is a 6.0 intercooler
Old 09-28-2007, 05:31 PM

I have had gauges for several years now and I agree that they are a must. How much does a 6.0 intercooler help? I might spring for one.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:41 PM
MARSOC > Seals

it will drop your egt's around 100 dg....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.