Truth about black smoke ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truth about black smoke ?

Im always reading or hearing about how black smoke from your exhuast is a waste of fuel. When you install a programmer,chip,tuner it seems like most trucks roll out the smoke. Then you get people posting on threads and all over the internet that this black smoke caused from the programmer,chip,tuner is a waste of fuel. My truck blew no smoke at all w/o a programmer and blows smoke with it. Now im getting better mpg with the programmer and its blowing black smoke. So the BIG QUESTION that everybody seems to know so much about is.. how is the black smoke a waste of fuel when most programmers,chips,tuners are actually getting you better miles per gallon and blowing black smoke at the same time?????????? Makes no sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
When you are driving normally are you pouring black smoke out constantly? No...

Black smoke is unburnt fuel... Diesel or gas vehicles both will smoke black if they are running rich...

tuners DO give you better MPG's but NOT if you drive around rolling coal everywhere!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Uh, I have yet to get better mileage with my chip on any other setting except for stock. Full tank of fuel I got 8.5 mpg on my 80DD tune and 14.4 mpg on my 100 Performance tune. I didn't try the 65 Tow or 120 Race tune. On the stock setting I get anywhere from 15.5-18 mpg. Highest is 18.0 mpg on the dot.

All of these results are hand calculated.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000f2507.3l View Post
Im always reading or hearing about how black smoke from your exhuast is a waste of fuel. When you install a programmer,chip,tuner it seems like most trucks roll out the smoke. Then you get people posting on threads and all over the internet that this black smoke caused from the programmer,chip,tuner is a waste of fuel. My truck blew no smoke at all w/o a programmer and blows smoke with it. Now im getting better mpg with the programmer and its blowing black smoke. So the BIG QUESTION that everybody seems to know so much about is.. how is the black smoke a waste of fuel when most programmers,chips,tuners are actually getting you better miles per gallon and blowing black smoke at the same time?????????? Makes no sense to me
The aftermarket tuning will burn the fuel more efficiently and use less of it under normal driving conditions. But under heavier throttle it will inject more fuel sooner into the combustion chamber than the turbo is putting air in so the fuel/air ratio is rich until the turbo catches up. But changes in timing and injection pulse width will improve power and economy even though you may see some more soot out of the exhaust.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post

Black smoke is unburnt fuel... Diesel or gas vehicles both will smoke black if they are running rich...

tuners DO give you better MPG's but NOT if you drive around rolling coal everywhere!
true true.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post

Not saying 6.0 is wrong, just wanting to touch on this a little more.

Black smoke is more like burnt fuel with a lack of oxygen to clean it up.

And it isnt a waste of fuel if you have enough oxygen to make it run clean!!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
yep and roaling coal all the time will eventually eat your engine. Since it over fuels the engine the fuel runes down the cylinder walls and takes away the lubrication. In time it will destroy your engine. I just stick to coal rollin on back roads and at the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.