Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

help a newb get more power

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ttyR2 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm fairly new here, my mods are in my sig.
I love my truck and have never had a problem with it, but it feels so gutless when you punch it, it goes once the turbo spools up but from a low speed it has horrid throttle response, it smokes like a train with the chip up but i want power. Dont get me wrong, i love smoke as much as the next guy but i want to go fast haha. I have the normal mods(chip, intake, exhaust), i feel like an upgraded hpop would be the next thing i want, but i wanted advice from you guys. i also get some bad turbo surge in the right conditions. I still have to pass emissions so im trying to keep that in mind.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have to agree the tunes that the TS chips come with are nothing compared to some of the custom tuners out there It was night and day when I had my TS reburnt.

#5 ·
If your running 37" tires on factory gears, there would be some benefit to going to lower gears.

That is not saying that turbo, tunes, and hpop aren't good upgrades! Just something else to think about. Also, something that your transmission might appreciate! haha
:thumb:

#8 ·
Fair enough.
just putting different ideas on the table for discussion. :thumb:

#9 ·
i dont have any problem with my 37's and stock gearing but to the op, go with some custom tunes, gauges to monitor it all.

#10 ·
Yeah, I don't feel that it's putting too much HP to the wheels. I don't want it to be a rocket, and I hardly tow at all. different gears is out of the picture i think. I would like custom tunes i just have no idea how to go about it. I do not know whos good or not or whats worth it. What im trying to get is solid power, not super fast acceleration or incredible top speed. I want throttle response and a solid pull all the way through the gears. thanks for the suggestions, i want to get a 38r and an upgraded HPOP if its necessary, but i dont want to get into injectors or anything more serious due to it being my DD and im only 18 so i dont want to get in over my head, ive got way too much money in this truck already so i dont want to throw a rod or anything. Plus I need to pass emissions.

#11 ·
As far as the custom tunes you can take your chip out and send it to any one that does custom tunes here is a few names that do; Beans, Gearhead, Tony Wildman, PHP, Tyrant just to name a few everyone has there opinion on who is better I personally was very happy when I had my chip revised by Beans :thumb: I would highly recommend it..... money well spent

#12 ·
The 38r will help throttle response alot. Dont think its necessary to upgrade injectors either. I think its worth the money...bolt on an go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.