Chip versus programmer as Noob understands it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chip versus programmer as Noob understands it

discalimer / caveat: I am a Noob. I just purchased a 2001 F-350 Crewcab Longbed w/ the 7.3. Ihave done multiple searches on this site and this is what I understand about chips versus programmers:

Chips:
ex: Tony Wildman, Beans, DP-Tuner.
You can get them customized, lots of different flavors (DP-Tuner has 16 possilbe different offerings) and you can switch you desired setting on the fly, more or less (i.e. go from Heavy Tow to stock with a turn of a dial)
Proprietary (TW tunes won't work on a DP-Tuner chip)

Programmer:
ex: Edge Evolution w/ juice.
canned tune. No changing on the fly. limited number of flavors. possible transmission issues?

If I am missing something important here, please feel free to correct me.

My question is this: My diesel shops seems to be a huge fan of the edge evolution and I cannot figure out why.

I have decided to go with an F6 chip from DP-Tuner. James (The DP guy) put up with all manner of idiot questions and I figure that's worth giving him my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

Little late I know, but I have a DP Tuner chip and am happy with mine...I think I've had it for about 5 years or so now. No issues. Some say the Edge Evolution is hard on your trans, it may or may not have had anything to do with it, but when I bought mine the guy had an Evolution that he gave me with the truck. It was less than 3 months after I bought it (Had it on level 2) the trans went out. Very well could have been coincidence, but didn't make me want to use it anymore. Also, after experiencing Level 3 on the Edge vs DP-Tuner all I have to say about that is Edge leaves a lot of untapped potential. I've heard that they have improved the Edge tuneing since I had mine, but I have no new experience with it. No doubt the best bet is to pick a good tuner and get some tunes from them. I think PHP does tuners with their tunes instead of chips if you want, but what's not to like about shift on the fly?
-Aaron
Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
discalimer / caveat: I am a Noob. I just purchased a 2001 F-350 Crewcab Longbed w/ the 7.3. Ihave done multiple searches on this site and this is what I understand about chips versus programmers:

Chips:
ex: Tony Wildman, Beans, DP-Tuner.
You can get them customized, lots of different flavors (DP-Tuner has 16 possilbe different offerings) and you can switch you desired setting on the fly, more or less (i.e. go from Heavy Tow to stock with a turn of a dial)
Proprietary (TW tunes won't work on a DP-Tuner chip)

Programmer:
ex: Edge Evolution w/ juice.
canned tune. No changing on the fly. limited number of flavors. possible transmission issues?

If I am missing something important here, please feel free to correct me.

My question is this: My diesel shops seems to be a huge fan of the edge evolution and I cannot figure out why.

I have decided to go with an F6 chip from DP-Tuner. James (The DP guy) put up with all manner of idiot questions and I figure that's worth giving him my business.
Well your naming two different edge products...there is the juice which is a module (aka a little black box that fools your ECM to think the truck need more fuel than it really does), the evo is a tuner that like the name suggests re-writes the programming on the ECM/Computer of the truck.

The HEUI injection system of a 7.3 (and the 6.0) is a bit of different animal and the person writing the tunes really needs to know what they are doing for max performance and reliability IMHO. PHP, DP, beans, swamps...etc all know exactly what they are doing...I would go with them.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the feedback!

GreenF350 / Rufus Husky:
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking for confirmation of the stuff I've read on this forum about chips vs programmers and you've confirmed what I thought I was reading.
My rig goes into the shop in a few weeks (Dynamic Diesel in Shohomish, WA) and while it's getting pillar gauges put in, transmission looked at, etc, I am going to have them put a F6 chip in from DP-Tuner.

They were really trying to up-sell the Edge programmer, but everything I've read here posted by guys who know a lot more about these beasts than I do said "Get a chip and don't waste your time on the programmer". So that's what I am going to do.

Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
If you can pick up a programer cheap then it is worth it. I got my Edge Evo for 50 bucks had it in since november with no issues. But if you buy one new you are better off getting the chip then the programer. Im currently saving up for a PHP chip but happy with my programer for now
Old 04-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
if your going to go with a programmer the only one i suggest is a PHP tuned edge CS or CTS....

if your going to go with a chip then i recommend TW, PHP, or beans...

you can find some info here as well: Tony Wildman Performance Chips
-Raul
Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks a bunch for the infor, fellas. Like I mentioned, the guy at DP spent a lot of time explaining the ins and outs of his chips, and other PCM questions I had for him. I'm going to drop the hammer and pick up the f-6.

next up - an upgraded turbo charger and reg return fuel system...
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

Truck accessory shops pimp what they sell, the dp is better than the edge but there are better and cheaper alternatives
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

I doubt you will be disappointed with the DP. Been running one for years, although my next tunes will probably be from a different tuner....mostly just because I would like to try out something different.
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.