6 SPD Manual Trans Temp Gauge??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
6 SPD Manual Trans Temp Gauge???

OK...due to my recent trans issues....and the fact that I've had my Trans Temp gauges sitting in my toolbox, not being used...I figured that I should install it to prevent a potental trans issue in the future. Of course, this is going to force me to buy a new gauge pod...(Finally, I can get that column mount for my boost gauge.)

So...where in the poo do I install this gauge in the tranny? Anyone ever install an Isspro trans temp sensor on a 6spd Manual??? Please help. I'm going to try and get this done Friday or Sat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
dont do it !!! you may end up with a leak and it will cost ya another tranny... you dont need one with the manual.. we have yet to replace a 5 or 6 speed in any of our wreckers and they see alot of hard heavy towing and 500,000 km on some of them.. trust me we abuse our manual trannys more then any other pickup .. we also have pto's running on them too
Old 09-24-2007, 06:26 PM

See...but if I DID have one before, I would not have had the problem I had. I would have noticed that the temps were getting high....and possilby saving my tranny. The "it might leak" isn't really a concern. If it does leak...I'll know...both by the gauge and by the dripping tranny fluid on the ground. I'm not interested in dropping another $5K for another tranny if anything else goes wrong. THis is my 2nd tranny in 2 years....a total of $8K in repairs....That's almost what I've payed in rent in the last year. I'm not made of Money...and I need all the insurance I can get.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditty View Post
See...but if I DID have one before, I would not have had the problem I had. I would have noticed that the temps were getting high....and possilby saving my tranny. The "it might leak" isn't really a concern. If it does leak...I'll know...both by the gauge and by the dripping tranny fluid on the ground. I'm not interested in dropping another $5K for another tranny if anything else goes wrong. THis is my 2nd tranny in 2 years....a total of $8K in repairs....That's almost what I've payed in rent in the last year. I'm not made of Money...and I need all the insurance I can get.
you have a better chance of having a problem than catching a problem with a temp gauge in a manual...i second that.....

See...the problem you have is you virtually NEVER have any kind of failure in a 6 speed (or any other MT in a ford) short of syncro's unless its leaking. Odds are if its leaking the temp is going to be just fine...untill it wont register on the gauge anymore. What temp is a problem temp? what temp is a normal temp? these are all things your just gonna be guessing at... I personally wouldnt waste the time...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:40 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Use GM part #5897940 (duct tape) to put it on the side of the tranny.

I have thought about putting one in my truck, but I don't think it would be worth it, other than just having another gauge for people to ask about.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:15 PM

Ditty was your old tranny not killed by loss of fluid? If I read it correctly you lost fluid due to broken line that you patched up for a temporary fix and that smoked the tranny..it ran out of fluid...

so lets say your cruising down the freeway and the fitting lets the fluid out guess what your in the tranny shop again...I would want as few connections joints fittings as possible ... just less chance of leaks and fluid loss.. and does anyone really know what temp a manual is supposed to be run at?

Its your truck its your choice.. im just spending my in this thread..
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM

I understand the concerns about potential leaks....but after the install of the gauge, and monitoring the gauge while everything is fine would give me a good baseline to know when there is a problem.

I know it isn't "nessesary" but the leaking issues are the same with auto trannys. The gauge probe can leak in auto trannys as easily as they can in manuals...so why the fear that one is a manual tranny is bad? The only differences with a gauge on a manual from one in an auto is that 1) It is recommended for an auto 2) Just about everyone has one with an auto and 3) Hardly anyone has installed one on a manual. A leak is a leak...no matter what type of tranny it's on.

I really don't feel that a leak at the probe connection is all that much of a problem if I install it correctly. The same rules to installing it are the same, auto or manual. "Make it tight and not leak."

Yes, the issues that I recently had were due to a mistake on my part, patching the tranny cooler return line with some fuel hose and not repairing it with a Ford return line. (I had all the intentions in the world to fix it correctly, I was planning on doing it the weekend AFTER it broke.) I am taking 100% responsibility for the fault...I should have got the Ford part in the first place, or at the least, patched it, and replaced the part the next day. Lesson learned.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:06 PM

I understand where your coming from you just dumped a pile on repairs.. and I can see doing anything to prevent this from ever happening again.. but it wont happen again I'm sure you will never just patch a line like that again..and I'm sure you will check the fluid level every oil change, well I do anyway. If it wasn't for the human error you would have not had the problem... a manual don't need a gauge..

yes a leak will kill a auto too and the potential is there for it to leak in a auto also...

but with a auto you would feel it slipping as you were losing fluid and before it was to late you could stop.. with a manual you could have no fluid and it will still go the same... follow what I'm saying?

I hope you dont think I am coming off as a dick.. I just dont see the need and I would hate to see it cause you future problems...Thats all

Chris
Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 PM

Really...I'm wanting to use the gauge I have sitting in my toolbox b/c with all the efforts to try and sell it...apparently no one wants it...and I now have a reason to use it. (Also is an excuse to get my column mount for the boost gauge.)

So y'all argument against it is, "You really don't need it, and if it leaks, you back at the tranny shop." But I feel, that it can't hurt...(as long as it doesn't leak!)

So...that being said...where do I plug this Isspro trans temp sensor into my ZF6 and will I need anything else that doesn't come with it? (I got it from Diesel Manor about 16months ago.)
Old 09-24-2007, 08:20 PM
Banned

Heat will KILL an auto trans.......

when have you ever heard of a manual trans fail that had the proper fluid level (besides failed syncro's)??

On an auto its more than worth the risk for a leak....on a manual trans it just honestly isnt IMO.... Heat isnt thier #1 enemy, fluid loss is...

Honestly the only place i can think of to safely install a gauge with the least chance of leakage would be to put it in the drain plug...(drill and tap it)...but that leaves the problem of how to drain the fluid.....other than that it will be tapped into a cooler line (yes for those of you that dont have 6 speeds, they have lines and a cooler) but that is a major leak waiting to happen...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.