Tuner / Programmer Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tuner / Programmer Question

Forgive me for sounding like a noob, but this is my first diesel. Im trying to figure out what type of tuner came on my '01 I picked up last October. My PCM has a DiabloSport sticker on it and I have a toggle switch that has 'stock' 'tow' and 'performance' settings. I've been on DiabloSport's website and all I can see on there webpage are handheld flash programmers. I don't see anything about PCM mods like the DP style tuners. What exactly do I have in my truck, and is it any good? All I'm really concerned about is that it doesn't hurt my truck. I know DP and others are probably better for performance, but as long as this tuner won't eat my engine or tranny Im OK with it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
What exactly do I have in my truck
No clue.

Quote:
and is it any good?
Nope.

Quote:
All I'm really concerned about is that it doesn't hurt my truck.
It probably will.

Quote:
I know DP and others are probably better for performance, but as long as this tuner won't eat my engine or tranny Im OK with it.
I've got some bad news for ya then...

What you have are called "canned tunes." They are one size fits all. Have you ever worn a one size fits all tuxedo? Sucks doesnt it. Get a tailored tuxedo and your truck will thank you forever.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Why is it no good? (from a factual stand-point, not opinion)

I read this post from Diane at DP Tuner from a thread earlier this year "Most programmers are canned tunes. Stock trucks tend to love them. With modifications done,Yes, Jody tunes are different."

The only mods to my truck are an S&B intake and a straight-piped 4" turbo back exhaust, so Id say I probably fall into that stock category.

And why will it probably hurt my truck? I keep it on the stock setting 90% of the time anyways.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM

And if I did decide to switch to DP would it be a simple process of sending them my PCM and they would wipe out the Diablo tunes before putting their own on?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it is an adjustable chip you will have to pull it out to put the new one in so it won't matter. Canned tunes are usually really hard on trucks because they dont really tune the truck they turn up the fuel and thats it. Custom tunes also take into account your tranny and boost. Basically canned tunes just dump fuel.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentexcoalroller View Post
If it is an adjustable chip you will have to pull it out to put the new one in so it won't matter. Canned tunes are usually really hard on trucks because they dont really tune the truck they turn up the fuel and thats it. Custom tunes also take into account your tranny and boost. Basically canned tunes just dump fuel.
Makes sense, thanks. Im doing some longevity mods to the truck right now (6.0 trans cooler, gauge pods to monitor things, PPE diff cover, Amsoil fluids all around) so for now Ill just run it on the stock setting. Ill spring for a DP Tuner when the durability mods are finished.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Instead of the ppe diff cover you may want to check out the 08+ cast aluminium one. Unless you are really wanting the added capacity. It has cooling fins and you can usually get it a lot cheaper.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM

I thought about buying the 08 diff cover and Ive seen them on Ebay for cheap. But Im the kinda guy that keeps his vehicles forever if they treat me right, so my plan is to build everything on this truck for overkill. I only put about 8k miles on my truck a year, so if I build it for durability it should last me a very long time. I want the extra 4 quarts of Amsoil gear oil that the PPE cover will hold. I thought about doing a Mag Hytec tranny pan too, but the general consensus on this forum seems to be that the tranny pan is a waste of money, so I decided against it. An oil bypass system will probably be next on the list.

Last edited by E-Man; 03-22-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.