I want Single Shot Injectors, but... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want Single Shot Injectors, but...

Every Profesional Mechanic I talk to in CA tells me to stick with the stock injectors the truck came with. What do I do???

First of all, I'm new to posting here, but have been lurking for a while. Thank you for all of the great information. I have invested many hours into studying all of the information here.

I am new to diesel trucks, but always wanted a 7.3 Ford because I heard nothing but good things about them. About 6 months ago I bought a 2002 F250 CCSB w/ 210k miles from a friend, so I know alot of the history of the truck. He was the second owner, so there are still some unknowns.

The truck has been good, and I hauled several 2-3k lb loads from Sacramento to Reno and back in the bed of the truck. The truck started leaking/ using oil, I had a small leak at the EBPV valve on the turbo and fixed it (It now has a pedestal with the EBPV delete) I was still loosing oil, but I thought I am now burning it. I took it to a well respected Diesel speciality mechanic in the Sacramento area and he diagnosed it as needing Injector O-rings, but recommended as long as we were going to be replacing those to replace the Injectors while they were out, due to having 220K on them now, and they are "probably worn out" I was not ready to pay for all that work at that time, so I drove the truck home and it has stayed in my driveway mostly for the last month. This is when I began researching injectors. I do not want to make this a race truck, or go crazy with it, I just want a dependable truck that can haul some weight and pull my ski boat when I need it to.

The other mods under the hood that I know about are, the turbo has an ATS housing and a wicked wheel. It also has a K&N type intake filter and a cold air intake box. It had an Edge Juice with Attitude Programmer on it when I bought it, but it was 7 years old and started to develop some problems, blank screen sometimes, and it would make the truck run poorly. I removed this shortly after buying the truck.

The mechanic that diagnosed the O-rings recommended replacing with stock injectors, I mentioned single shots, and he said not in CA due to emmissions and such. I have several other friends who are mechanics and know the mechanics who work on our company trucks, every one of them says keep it stock. I really want to start usiong the truck again, and want to fix it either with the stock split shots, or some stage 1 single shots. I realize I will need custom tunes and I am fine with that, I even want to wake the truck up a little, but I have no intention of racing it.

Is there anyone in CA who has single shot injectors in a 1999-2003 7.3l and is happy with them, and not had any problems with the emmissions people?

If I do go with the single shots, I will also want gauges, and most likely a regulated fuel return, I do not want to have to upgrade the HPOP also which is part of my reason for wanting to stick with the stage 1's. Is there a benefit to running hybrids?

Thanks in advance for your replys. Please Advise. Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get rid of the damn k&n filter you are going to eff up you truck you need to do the 6637 filter google it and you will find the info about it.
The k&n lets too much dirt into the engine.
If your truck only needs injector orings then just do that if there are no issues with the injecors no need to replace them.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:30 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yes swap out the K&N for sure. I'm not to sure on california emissions laws or I'd have some more input. Could just move out of california? That's what I'd do
Old 02-29-2012, 07:15 AM

I'd get Stage ones. Might as well spend a few hundred extra and reap the rewards
Old 02-29-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3'00 View Post
I'd get Stage ones. Might as well spend a few hundred extra and reap the rewards
In any state other than California but he has to deal with all their bs smog stuff
Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Coal Rolling = Posing

Properly tuned AC code injectors, aka "stage 1's", are a hell of a lot more likely to pass a smog check than 220k AD's.

And since the truck came with PMR's from the factory, and it's in California, that'd be my choice.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for all the usefull comments so far.

I will look into the 6637 filter as I heard the same thing from someone else, but I did just clean and re-oil the K&N about 800 miles ago. I will change it shortly after I get this injector thing figured out.

I will most likely end up spending less to put in Stage 1 injectors (AC code) and custom tunes because I will do the job myself and save the money I would have paid for labor. None of the repair shops I talked to want to do it, or if they do they will not warranty the work because they are not the stock parts. If there is no warranty, I see no reason to pay labor to have it done. I am fairly handy, worked in a repair shop while in college, have all the tools, I am just short on time to get it done.

Why would AC codes be more likely to pass smog than the 220K AD's? Why do the PMR's have anything to do with this? Was it the Powdered Metal Rods you were referring to?

Since I won't have the odd #8 injector if I go this route, what is the best way to eliminate the fuel starvation issue with the #8 injector?

I would still like to hear from someone in CA who has done a similar injector upgrade.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Banned

220k ad's are gettin wore out, o-rings could be leakin, they're oil hungry so i'm sure icp is droppin which affects atomization. stage 1's or brand new aliant ac's with any decent tunes will pass smog testing. to prevent starvation you could either do a regulated return or riff raff's fuel rail cross over.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry I can not coment on the cali. part the topic but I do have stage 2 single shots. personally I would say stick with the stock split shots. You don't need to worry about tuning and all the other b.s. that goes with single shots. my fuel economy has dropped since switching and my truck runs slightly rougher which is to be expected. Also I have gotten two letters from my local air quality control saying that I have been reported for smoking to much. I can only guess the kind of b.s. that I would get living in cali. Now I know that you are looking at stage 1's but I never thought my truck would smoke this much with stage 2's and even with the chip turned down it is pretty black behind me. Now some will say this could be due to tuning. I've had my truck tuned by two different people with the same basic results I have also upgraded my turbo to try and get more air. I would say if your not looking to make more power stick with stock.. your trans will thanks you. thats just my 2 cents though.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 PM

I don't live in Cali but if your worried about smog checks I think a ford AIS filter is the way to go instead of the 6637 it works good filters great and doesn't send up the red flag on the visual. But since I don't have smog checks I might be wrong, I have the AIS on my truck and love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.