turbo balancing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
cebulmer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stokesdale, NC
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo balancing

Do I have to get the turbo rebalanced after a WW install?

Slow
cebulmer1 is offline  
post #2 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have not heard of anyone having this done. After having the WW installed. As long as you installed it correctly you should be fine.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land
 
Big AL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Troy, Alabama
Posts: 2,393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I have not heard of anyone having this done. After having the WW installed. As long as you installed it correctly you should be fine.
I haven't either.
I'm not even sure how it would even be done ??
I would think it would be ready to 'roll' LOL.

:burnout :burnout :burnout



2005 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0. Torqshift Auto. Arizona Beige.
Mods - 4" FBD Turbo-Back Exhaust with Free-flow Muffler. Power Intake Elbow from Dfuser. Bug Shield. Vent Shades. Aries Step Bars. Custom heavy-duty floor mats. High Idle Mod (great!).
Big AL is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I am sure the WW is balanced during the manufactoring of it. Once it is balanced it should be good to go on any turbo it is installed on.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
cebulmer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stokesdale, NC
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A mech told me that you do not have to balance the turbo after doing this but the turbo life will not be as long as one that has been rebalanced. Have you heard that before?

Slow
cebulmer1 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulmer1 View Post
A mech told me that you do not have to balance the turbo after doing this but the turbo life will not be as long as one that has been rebalanced. Have you heard that before?
I would like to see this done. Because I have no clue how they would ballance the turbo after you install the ww. You would have to spin the turbo. Which I guess they could do with good old compressed air blowing through the exhaust side of the turbo. But I would like to see how they add or remove wieght with out removing the WW. Because if they remove it to add or remove wieght then when they reinstall it they would get a different reading. Just like when you balance and rotate your tires. Once they have been on in a specific spot. You can not assume they would be balanced if you put the tire on the truck in a different spot as in front to rear or rear to front. Because of the wearing of the tire.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Stupidity pisses me off

 
sevenmalards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Sacramento
Posts: 3,830
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I would like to see this done. Because I have no clue how they would ballance the turbo after you install the ww. You would have to spin the turbo. Which I guess they could do with good old compressed air blowing through the exhaust side of the turbo. But I would like to see how they add or remove wieght with out removing the WW. Because if they remove it to add or remove wieght then when they reinstall it they would get a different reading. Just like when you balance and rotate your tires. Once they have been on in a specific spot. You can not assume they would be balanced if you put the tire on the truck in a different spot as in front to rear or rear to front. Because of the wearing of the tire.

I don't think I could have said it any better

2006 F350 CREW CAB LONG BED KING RANCH

99.5 F350 Super Cab Long Bed, Dually.
SOLD








Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKSTAX View Post
You are not right man, but i still think your funny as hell!
sevenmalards is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
cebulmer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Stokesdale, NC
Posts: 428
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Dennis
Owner - ITP Diesel, L.L.C. Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,153


Re: Wicked Wheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody,

I don't personally consider the aftermarket wheel a good investment for anyone, which is why I quit selling it. It's a "band-aid" at best for Surge, reduces boost pressure and most people don't bother to install it "right" (ie. remove the turbo and have the assembly balanced).

I found this on the ITP website.

Slow
cebulmer1 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 01:42 PM
Banned
 
Lord Tauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It's obvious the manufacturer has some sort of way of spinning the components and checking balances at whatever desired RPMs the test are for. the faster the RPMs, the more imbalance there is.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone mention anything about balancing the components after a compressor wheel change, but it would make sense.. how critical is it? Not sure, plenty of guys around here with WWs without issues though.
Lord Tauk is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2007, 01:50 PM
duct tape & zip ties

 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Willis, MI
Posts: 10,761
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
A band-aid, if you do the ww and the bigger housing. That really is not a band-aid for turbo surge. At least not how I see it. I know of alot of people that have done this modification. They have not had any issues since this band-aid modification. There is alot of debate about the WW if it is worth the money. How ever for everyone that says it is not good, I can find 10 people that say different. But it is a big debate. How ever I am installing the WW on my turbo when I get time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulmer1 View Post
04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Dennis
Owner - ITP Diesel, L.L.C. Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,153


Re: Wicked Wheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody,

I don't personally consider the aftermarket wheel a good investment for anyone, which is why I quit selling it. It's a "band-aid" at best for Surge, reduces boost pressure and most people don't bother to install it "right" (ie. remove the turbo and have the assembly balanced).

I found this on the ITP website.


Your Actions Today, Decide Your Future Tomorrow

2005 6.0 Crew Cab Long Box Lariat, current truck

2004 6.0 destroyed by contaminated fuel

2002 7.3L burnt
bigcountrysg is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome