turbo balancing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo balancing

Do I have to get the turbo rebalanced after a WW install?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
I have not heard of anyone having this done. After having the WW installed. As long as you installed it correctly you should be fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I have not heard of anyone having this done. After having the WW installed. As long as you installed it correctly you should be fine.
I haven't either.
I'm not even sure how it would even be done ??
I would think it would be ready to 'roll' LOL.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:45 AM
duct tape & zip ties

I am sure the WW is balanced during the manufactoring of it. Once it is balanced it should be good to go on any turbo it is installed on.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:56 AM

A mech told me that you do not have to balance the turbo after doing this but the turbo life will not be as long as one that has been rebalanced. Have you heard that before?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulmer1 View Post
A mech told me that you do not have to balance the turbo after doing this but the turbo life will not be as long as one that has been rebalanced. Have you heard that before?
I would like to see this done. Because I have no clue how they would ballance the turbo after you install the ww. You would have to spin the turbo. Which I guess they could do with good old compressed air blowing through the exhaust side of the turbo. But I would like to see how they add or remove wieght with out removing the WW. Because if they remove it to add or remove wieght then when they reinstall it they would get a different reading. Just like when you balance and rotate your tires. Once they have been on in a specific spot. You can not assume they would be balanced if you put the tire on the truck in a different spot as in front to rear or rear to front. Because of the wearing of the tire.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Learning the 6.0 game…...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountrysg View Post
I would like to see this done. Because I have no clue how they would ballance the turbo after you install the ww. You would have to spin the turbo. Which I guess they could do with good old compressed air blowing through the exhaust side of the turbo. But I would like to see how they add or remove wieght with out removing the WW. Because if they remove it to add or remove wieght then when they reinstall it they would get a different reading. Just like when you balance and rotate your tires. Once they have been on in a specific spot. You can not assume they would be balanced if you put the tire on the truck in a different spot as in front to rear or rear to front. Because of the wearing of the tire.

I don't think I could have said it any better
Old 09-18-2007, 02:29 PM

04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Dennis
Owner - ITP Diesel, L.L.C. Join Date: Apr 2002

Re: Wicked Wheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody,

I don't personally consider the aftermarket wheel a good investment for anyone, which is why I quit selling it. It's a "band-aid" at best for Surge, reduces boost pressure and most people don't bother to install it "right" (ie. remove the turbo and have the assembly balanced).

I found this on the ITP website.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
It's obvious the manufacturer has some sort of way of spinning the components and checking balances at whatever desired RPMs the test are for. the faster the RPMs, the more imbalance there is.

I dont think I've ever seen anyone mention anything about balancing the components after a compressor wheel change, but it would make sense.. how critical is it? Not sure, plenty of guys around here with WWs without issues though.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:50 PM
duct tape & zip ties

A band-aid, if you do the ww and the bigger housing. That really is not a band-aid for turbo surge. At least not how I see it. I know of alot of people that have done this modification. They have not had any issues since this band-aid modification. There is alot of debate about the WW if it is worth the money. How ever for everyone that says it is not good, I can find 10 people that say different. But it is a big debate. How ever I am installing the WW on my turbo when I get time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebulmer1 View Post
04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Dennis
Owner - ITP Diesel, L.L.C. Join Date: Apr 2002

Re: Wicked Wheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cody,

I don't personally consider the aftermarket wheel a good investment for anyone, which is why I quit selling it. It's a "band-aid" at best for Surge, reduces boost pressure and most people don't bother to install it "right" (ie. remove the turbo and have the assembly balanced).

I found this on the ITP website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.