Would a chip be worth it for me (tony wildman) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would a chip be worth it for me (tony wildman)

i have a f450 with 488's I tow 16K 1000+ miles every three months, but use the truck as my daily driver. My truck is stock, and all I'm looking for is an increase inMPG. Would this chip be worth it for me to increase my mpg at all? Also don't want to harm anything like the trans. I dont care about power as much as mpg's

1999 450
488 rear
auto 4x2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Emergency Services

DIY intake, 4" straight pipe if you have not already done these, and a PHP Phoenix 6 pos chip should help with both mpg and power.

PS ditch those 4.88's.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM

I ran a straight pipe for 2 days and went back to my exhaust... I saw a decrease in power and MPG, my PHP chip is on the way here not sure if it would be worth it to go back? the only thing I did was unbolt my muffler that was right at the bed/cab line maybe it was too straight? because I didn't have any bends in it? I loved the way it sounded and I loved the sound of the turbo but I hated what I felt was a loss of power and not so great MPG?

Thoughts?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

I'm looking at ditching the 488. Do you think the PHP is better then tony wildmans chip? And what does the straight pipe help with?

is this the one that i need
http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_phoenix.shtml

or this one:
http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_fu_chip.shtml

The first one is only 300 for all 6 positions it looks like. Where tony's is 300 + 25 for each position. So if i read it right I will definitely consider PHP

Last edited by yobie; 02-10-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobie View Post
I'm looking at ditching the 488. Do you think the PHP is better then tony wildmans chip? And what does the straight pipe help with?

is this the one that i need
Power Hungry Performance - Phoenix™ Chip

or this one:
Power Hungry Performance - FU™ Performance Chip Package

The first one is only 300 for all 6 positions it looks like. Where tony's is 300 + 25 for each position. So if i read it right I will definitely consider PHP
I have run Bill's tunes (PHP) but not Tony's. I have heard good things about his tunes though. the $295 Phoenix is the one I suggest but the FU chip is great as well. With the FU you never have to send the chip back in if you want to change tunes.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Premium Member

I didn't notice a BIG difference with my chip as far as MPG goes. It does make it much more entertaining to drive with the extra power and my MPG certainly didn't go down. No doubt the 4.88's hurt your mileage, but consider how much weight you tow, the 4.88's might be a necessary "evil", although @ 16k lbs, i would think some 4.10's if not maybe even 3.73's would do the trick depending on tires size and terrain. I've towed around 7k with 3.73's and 37" tires with no problem and I had a friend with a 16k 5th wheel that he towed with 3.73's and 35" tires although he really could have used some better gears as the truck definitely had to work pulling that "camper".
-Aaron
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
With 4.88's.... I doubt anything will help the mileage....JMO.

A chip with a good tow tune would definitely help power-wise, tho. 4" exhaust. CAI would be sure to help lower EGT's as well.

I have PHP's chip and am very happy with it. However chip should really be the last thing on the mods list, after gauges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.