Noob: MPG? Upgrades? Average? Parts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noob: MPG? Upgrades? Average? Parts?

I have been lucky enough to get my dad's 99.5 F-250 4x4 Superduty. It is an extended cab with 16.5 rims, and has been used for mild to heavy towing before I got it. MPG is my most important concern with this truck being that diesel is about $3.90 a gallon here. What is the best upgrade I can put on this truck to boost MPG? Whats your recommendation for parts and a tuner? Whats you average? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Intake (DIY Napa 6637 filter. Gives you much better air flow! and isnt that expensive either, order it off of fleetfilters.com its like 32 bucks for it compared to 68 from napa)

Gauges so you can monitor everything (stealth-automtive.com has a nice set up with pyro, trans temp, and boost with a pillar pod mount for about $210 i think)

Custom tunes (Tony Wildman, PHP, TS, ones like that)

And some bigger exhaust to let it flow better and keep the EGTs down

Also make sure your tires have proper PSI (some run 65 up front and 50 in the back, Im currently at 50 all the way around but going to bump it up to see if it'll help)

Where Im at diesel finally just dropped back down to $3.99 (last time I filled up it was $4.09 a gallon so I feel your pain) I currently only have the DIY 6637 but about to order the rest of the things I listed after I get paid Friday. Im currently getting anywhere from 10-13mpg but my truck is lifted on 35s (don't think its re-geared either. bought it lifted) and I mostly do city driving with lots of hills

Last edited by LTSmith; 02-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
If you bump up the exhaust 4in is all you really need for a stock setup, 5in just gives a deeper sound. Staying off the fast pedal helps a lot too lol. The things you can do that gain you power and mpg are almost limitless unlike your wallet that has a limit mine being in college is very limited haha. Its a money pit and the fuel tank is the biggest one it has. And 3.90 a gallon WOW sounds like i need to move there, its 4.19 here Good luck and welcome to the ORG
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins View Post
3.90 a gallon WOW sounds like i need to move there, its 4.19 here
Yeah no kidding, I'd take that 3.99 any day!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 02-01-2012, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow i thought it being $3.69 here was getting expensive
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 AM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
I remember when diesel was cheaper then gas
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

LTSmith- Never thought of tire pressure! As usual I'm overthinking. I've heard about those Tony Wildman chips. I like the fact that you can get a reburn and you can switch on the fly.

Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins- $3.89 a gallon is decent here. The bad thing is in my area the diesel I'm getting is somewhat sub-par for that price.What kind of exaust do you reccomend? And I like the first part of your sig about "Jack Em' High!" lol. Thats my motto!

dentexcoalroller- I know why diesel is so cheap for you, your from Texas!! lol.

Last edited by 7.3 Beast; 02-02-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typed to wrong user!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM

Heres the website I'm ordering my exhaust off of tomorrow. Its by far the cheapest website I've found, and it has free shipping on ALL products!!

Diamond Eye K5322A-RP 5" Turbo-Back No Muffler Single Off-Road Auto Transmission Only AL: 1999-2003.5 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke F250/f350

I'm getting the 5in straight pipe. Turbo back and all. But you really only need a 4in unless you like it loud. But the 4in is still pretty good too!

All I hear about TW chips are praise, and with the free reburns you cant go wrong! Along with the gauges from stealth-automtive.com they also have TW chips, theres a link somewhere where you can get $50 off your TW chip so they're only $425!

Hopes this helps you a little!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTSmith View Post
Heres the website I'm ordering my exhaust off of tomorrow. Its by far the cheapest website I've found, and it has free shipping on ALL products!!

Diamond Eye K5322A-RP 5" Turbo-Back No Muffler Single Off-Road Auto Transmission Only AL: 1999-2003.5 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke F250/f350

I'm getting the 5in straight pipe. Turbo back and all. But you really only need a 4in unless you like it loud. But the 4in is still pretty good too!

All I hear about TW chips are praise, and with the free reburns you cant go wrong! Along with the gauges from stealth-automtive.com they also have TW chips, theres a link somewhere where you can get $50 off your TW chip so they're only $425!

Hopes this helps you a little!!
Sounds good! The idea of a chip I can get reburn't when ever for free for life sound like a deal in itself. I looked at those pipes and that is a pretty good price. I'm probably going to stick with the 4'' pipe. 5'' is probably going to be too loud for me. I like a deep rumble, but not too much. And I have a question... If the TW chips are around $425 with a discount on the stealth site, and the are $300 on 7.3L Power Stroke Chip.
Could I get for $300 and get it burned for free? Or could I get it with one tune on it for $325 and get it reburned later for free?
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Im sure you could get it reburned if you buy it with 1 tune. But if you bought it blank my guess would be that you'd have to pay for every tune put on, or if you have the stock setting burned, that'll probably cost you. But I'm not one to say as I don't do the burning lol. Hopefully someone (vendors) will chime in and let you know. Raul from stealth automotive might know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.