More Power! Too many ideas. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 AM
Apache Armament

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
More Power! Too many ideas.

Alrighty... basic info first. My PSD is a early 99 f350 that I have put a TS performance chip in and robbed a 2000 PSD of its turbo for my purposes. The tunes for my chip are smoke (DUMB), stock, high idle, 80 econ, 100 perf, and 120 race. Sendin it back in to the fellas down at KT performance in Florida for a free re-burn. loosin the smoke and 120 tune for some towing tunes.

ANYWAY! all that aside, I really wanna help my truck perform better. Im startin out with a 5 inch exhaust simply because loud things make me happy. Also planning on an AFE intake and a set of pillar gauges. My big dilemma now is where to go from here? Hopefully in the near future i'll be able to invest in a 17 degree HPOP and injectors. What I would like to know is what would be a good setup for my truck? I dont have any awesome power goals or anything. I just would like my truck to be powerfully economical if ya catch my drift. I'll be doing some towing with it (7-10000 lbsish). Basically economical for a daily driver. BUT the kicker is doing all this on a soldier's budget. Which if you dont know already its less than desirable.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hope some of you gurus out there will help me out! Thanks and GOD bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

That is really all the "cheap and easy" power upgrades. Intake, Exhaust, Tunes. If you want to go farther...start with all the supporting mods. Pre-Pump fuel supply improvements, regulated return, etc. Then injectors and if you go that far....turbo. There are LOTS of little things you can do for a more reliable truck, just start surfing here and you will find more than you know what to do with.
-Aaron
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Apache Armament

Thanks! as for injectors, any idea what a set of stage one single shots from casserly with proper tunes will do to fuel economy? I've also tossed around the idea of just getting some 99.5 and up AD(?) injectors and a PCM to run them. wouldnt be too hard to convice the wife that "knock" is a bad injector and it needs new ones!!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Going to some 99.5-2003 injectors would probably hurt your fuel economy since they are "split-shot" injectors and aren't really the most efficient design. IIRC the early 99's were still single shots, but don't quote me on that. I don't have personal experience (I'm sure there will be someone that does), but I would expect a set of Stage 1 single shots to have minimal effect on fuel economy as long as you can avoid using too much of the "stupid pedal". If I am wrong, and the early 99 injectors were split shots too, then I would expect some mileage increases going to the single shots. Once again, I don't have any personal experience with that aspect since I am still running stockers.
-Aaron
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Apache Armament

thanks! time to make my brain hurt like in college! RESEARCH! haha
Old 01-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Premium Member

That's the best way....if you do a lot of research you will find trends and combinations that work. By doing a lot of research it keeps you from following just one guy that may or may not know what he is talking about. Myself included since my experience is limited to gasoline (previously ASE Master Certified) and what I've learned from here, my truck and a handful of friends trucks.
-Aaron
Old 02-05-2012, 06:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would have honestly kept Tony's burns... but that's me.. he would have re-burned your chip for free. You can have a nice truck on a soldiers pay. trust me, check mine out.

also PM me about your intake choices quick
Old 02-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd get it custom burnt along with the intake and exhaust and gauges.
If you don't plan on big power, then a FRx would be a good idea. HPOXover hard line too.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
If you are looking for a 17* HPOP look into the T-500 from Terminator Engineering. (Riffraff Diesel has them.)

And if you are in GA.... I'd give Bill at PHP a call and maybe thing about getting the truck live tuned. I have Bills tunes on my truck and am very happy with them.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
wow i just realized that i will be right around the corner from you in 2.5 weeks. I am PCS'ing to Stewart and got a house in Hinesville. We should get together when i get there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.