Building My 7.3 Need Input!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Building My 7.3 Need Input!!!

Hey guys newbie here, but not to the diesel world. I've got a 2000 f-350 4x4 6sp that I've had since new. It has 215000 on it and it's got to where it was hard starting it. So i figured glow plugs... or relay. Checked the relay and was good. Pulled the drivers side valve cover and decided since I was there I would just check the compression. Just checked the one side, but numbers were 2-420 4-340 6-350 8-200. I've always wanted to build my motor from ground up with upgrade parts so i figured now would be a good time. I farm for a living so my truck hauls all the time equipment hay livestock etc... with that in mind guys what all aftermarket goodies do I need to sink in it? I know I'm gonna sink a lot of money in it, but I want to do it right and not worry about it. Looking to make high hp pulling monster, but I don't want to be worrying about it failing or coming apart on me. Thanks for any input.

Last edited by walkn2tall; 01-26-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im not to knowledgeable on builing one from scratch but its always good to see somebody using a diesel to its full potentail. Seems like a lot of them get used as cars anymore.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Subscribing...

There's another build thread ATM.... I'll see if I can find it....

Might help to post up where you are... lot's of us work pretty cheap (for beer) and might be someone in your area able/willing to help!

I'm looking into a partial rebuild, that is a block-swap.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
7.3 rebuild time
Old 01-28-2012, 07:51 PM

Do u got forged or pm rods. If not I'd defiantly invest in forged. I'm in the middle of doin a complete rebuild now. while I'm at it I'm gonna throw in ARP head main and rod studs. Chromoly pushrods and valve springs. Haven't decided on the turbo and HPOP yet. And I'm thinking bout goin up to hybrids. Let us know how your build comes along
Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys just got the engine out at 11:30 tonight. Haven't broke it down yet to see what the real problem is guess that will come tomorrow. Anyone in Alabama or anywhere else that wants to come join in we have plenty of choices to keep you hydrated no matter what you're poison is lol. As far as upgrades I plan on going with H11 head and main bolts, forged rods, upgraded valve springs, reg return, HPOP, Fass system, DD clutch, going to upgrade turbo and injectors but I really haven't decided what to go with on that yet any suggestions guys? I pull a lot so I don't really don't know which injectors and turbo will work well for me.

Last edited by walkn2tall; 01-29-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You will get good power and some economy with 160cc-180cc single shot injectors. Putting some new parts in your stock turbo would work well, but upgrading to a BB turbo would keep your EGT down while hauling.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It depends on how much you are wanting to sink in turbo and injectors considering the supporting mods I'd do hybrids and just have the turned down if you don't get a turbo to run them and maybe look at an h2e for the turbo. With your supporting mods stage ones almost seem like a waste imo might as well go bigger since you will hold it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.