Nitrous or propane? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
Nitrous or propane?

Ok my buddy now wants me to give him more power He has H2E turbo kit,Injectors,HPOP and built tranny. We are doin the regulated fuel system with the next upgrade. What is everyone using and why? This truck is a very limited use truck he has a daily driver so this is a weekend toy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
What does he have for rods? How about head studs? Laughing gas is a no no on the street.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Propane to me is asking for trouble. Due to the way diesels work, I don't like the idea of puting something flammable in the cylinder before the start of the injection event. Too much chance for detonation for my likes. Therefore, if he has enough fuel (and I assume he does) then I vote for nitrous. He should definitely consider other factors than simply more power though. As mentioned above, rods is one of them. I know plenty of people that run nitrous oxide on street cars. Never heard of any of them being busted for that. I know a bunch of motrcycles that have aftermarket exhaust that are louder than stock and that is illegal too (Federal law). How many people have you heard get in trouble for that?
-Aaron
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

nitrous is NOT legal for street useage. I know NOS makes a kit thats 50 state legal, but its not allowed on a street car, just a track car. now, saying that, i have sprayed many of times in my mustang.

to the OP, if youre looking for more power, stay away from the propane, its old school way and better ways are available. try nitrous, or a heavy mix of meth. meth can add sometimes up to 100 rear wheel HP. and it keeps your egts cooler. rods become the factor at th power level youll be seeing. PMRs can go after the 400 mark with aggressive tuning or nitrous. forged have been good to 600 with good tuning. just some thought. if its a 7.3, the head bolts usually are good for up to 40 psi boost with no issues as long as its not beat on every day hard.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Premium Member

Nitrous is illegal to USE on the street in some states, but most states allow you to have the system and be hooked up, just not have the bottle open or used on the street. I have personally talked to some cops in our area (Florida Panhandle) who when specifically asked said it was legal as long as the bottle wasn't open. I've been told the same thing by State Troopers in Michigan (Although that was a little over 10 years ago). A quick search pulled up this link, and I didn't read the whole thing, but the first few states only have laws against having breathable nitrous. Take a look for yourself. Basically it depends on where you live/drive.

State Exhaust And Nitrous Laws - GM High-Tech Performance

I wouldn't use the article to fight a ticket, but it's a good starting point.
-Aaron

Last edited by GreenF350; 01-28-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:50 PM

i was always told not to run nitrous on a diesel... that propane is like nitrous for a diesel, but with that you have several different ways of hooking it up,

1. in threw the intake
2. is threw the injectors
3. possible fuel rail or something along that line? not too sure

But i also heard that you have to enlarge the injectors also and do head studs to support the propane

I am no mechanic so i could be 100% wrong on everything
Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Dude there are lots or people running nitrous on their diesel. Lol. Most of the racing crowd if not all of them run nitrous. Nitrous is actually safer in diesels against detonation because diesels run purely off compression. If you add too much nitrous in a gasser, then you risk blowing the block apart. In a diesel, the block is way stouter than a Gasser block. So, if you add too much and you enrich the oxygen mixture, and you don't add enough fuel, the diesel engine will survive and in most cases, the engine will just die because of fuel starvation. Give it a sec, and you can crank it back up and be fine. You cannot do that in a Gasser,
Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to maddenjr
The truck currently doesnt have studs but we are planning on doin them when we add spray or propane... He is only gonna hit it here and there if he races it... The motor still has stock rods so i guess thats gonna be our weak point
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM

What year is it? Forged rods can take a good amount of power, PMR can not. I wouldn't risk spraying with PMR.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

Also, this guy ran 11's with in his 6.4L spraying nitrous: 2009 Ford F250 Super Duty - 24 Inch Rims - Diesel Power Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.