WANTED MPG, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WANTED MPG, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

I have an 01 F250 7.3 with turbo back 4" MBRP no muffler, EDGE evolution set on Race (middle setting). I try not to drive like an idiot and keep it under 2k rpms. Truck has 202k miles, i put 35" tires on (which i know doesnt help mileage) but i was still getting only 14 mpg when i had 265's on... my average now hovers around 13.5 - 14.5 MPG. My daily commute is 25 miles each way through the country (not stop and go). Why can't i get 20MPG like other people i talk to (with 02 7.3's and similar mods)???? I did not put an intake on yet... is that holding me back this much???
Please respond, any opinion is appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Couple things :
1. the edge programer
2. the big tires
3. intake would help

Is it 4x4, DRW or single, crew cab, ext cab.... longbed? My last truck on stock tires was an ext cab long bed 2wd and it got 20, my current setup gets around 17-18 highway but probably average 15 with mixed driving.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, Crew cab, short box, 4x4, automatic.
Whats the deal with edge? I liked it for the diagnositc display and fair HP for the money. I got EGT, Boost, trans temp, intake temp, engine oil tem, and other useless values (mph, rpm, DTC's present) and 50-80 HP for $400...
I am open to suggestions tho, a friend of mine went with the TS, but no gauges...
Thanks to all for any advice!
Ben
Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Edge is fine for using it as a monitor, but I have heard nothing but bad things about it as far as trans tuning goes. In short, its a good way to kill your trans. Aside from that its just generic tunes. I would definitely start out with getting a 6637 filter on the beast to get some better air flow and better filtration, like Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit comes everything you need. Next go for custom tunes from a reputable tuner, there are a bunch out there. Php, dp tuner, tw, beans, cale.... Then go from there, biggest thing to get mpg though is a light foot!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info!
I will try to keep my foot out of it - it's just so much fun to watch her breathe black and roar away from traffic lights!
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ_obs_STROKER View Post
Thanks for the info!
I will try to keep my foot out of it - it's just so much fun to watch her breathe black and roar away from traffic lights!
Thanks!
black=unburnt fuel, tunes and no intake will do that... are you monitoring egt's?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have an 02 f350 dually, basic afe intake, turbo back exhaust no muffler 5in. php eco tune, and my tire size are 245/85/16. im getting 14 mpg city. stop and go. is there any way to get better mpg? im light on the pedal too
Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry@tx View Post
i have an 02 f350 dually, basic afe intake, turbo back exhaust no muffler 5in. php eco tune, and my tire size are 245/85/16. im getting 14 mpg city. stop and go. is there any way to get better mpg? im light on the pedal too
245 or 235? My tires are stock size as well and they are 235/85/16. And yeah there is a bunch of ways to increase your mpg. 14 city is pretty good though for a dually. Single shots like a stage one is a little better mpg as long as your not in it all the time. I plan on getting taller tires or semi wheels milled to 22's one of these days. Biggest killer for me is the 4.10 rear end. At 65-70 on the highway my rpm's are like 2200-2300, with bigger tires it should lower it down some, although city driving mpg will suffer.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea, mines are 235s. So im not the only one that suffers from 65 -70 high rpms.
i plan on getting some 24 semi's too with low profile tires. i didnt know that would lower rpms.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry@tx View Post
yea, mines are 235s. So im not the only one that suffers from 65 -70 high rpms.
i plan on getting some 24 semi's too with low profile tires. i didnt know that would lower rpms.
Yeah it will lower rpm's at 65-70 but getting them rolling is taxing on mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.