hutch mod technical questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hutch mod technical questions

I am in the middle of doing this mod, and am curious about the bypass suction (Im guessing thats what it is) on the side of the pickup deal? In guzzles mod, it looks like he is pushing the new 3/8 tube past that.

Isnt that there for a reason (safety for a plugged strainer?) Should you not plug it with tube?

Also, like an idiot, I pulled the suction strainer off before measuring. I think I am pretty close, but how perfect does it have to be? Just so the accordian suction thing is on the bottom of the tank right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Cant answer the exact reason ford put it there in the first place, but it is the cause of many trucks running out of fuel, with plenty left in the tank.
If i remember mine was 15 inches long but you can put a straight edge across the tank opening and measure from there, just duplicate that measurement from the sealing surface of the pickup/sensor mount plate
Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
I am in the middle of doing this mod, and am curious about the bypass suction (Im guessing thats what it is) on the side of the pickup deal? In guzzles mod, it looks like he is pushing the new 3/8 tube past that.

Isnt that there for a reason (safety for a plugged strainer?) Should you not plug it with tube?

Also, like an idiot, I pulled the suction strainer off before measuring. I think I am pretty close, but how perfect does it have to be? Just so the accordian suction thing is on the bottom of the tank right?
I'm not sure what it is you're looking at but, It Should ALL Go! The entire concoction is a Mess and that's why your doing the mod in the first place... The strainers, mixer, short return (which feeds air bubbles back into the supply) should be removed, return extended, and simplified to finally work right.

As for the Umbrella, in order to get to the bottom of the tank, it needs to be touching the bottom without "pressing" down hard. If it's too long you'll feel it trying to spring-back when you seat the sending unit in the top of the tank. Might take some trial & error to get it right without measuring the OL first
Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

I did the mod 4 months ago and it solved 3 years worth of problems related to the fuel system . The Ford system is a cluster f*&^, you can't go wrong doing the mod.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Basically the big tube is suction, the smaller tube is the return from the bowl.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

to the OP, after you get this all figured out let us know what you did and how. I want to this on my truck and its nice hear how to do it from someone doing it for the first time
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 PM

I ended up measuring from the sending unit flange mount to the bottom of the tank and took about 1/4" off that measurement (or so). The umbrella is definitely pushed uo some, but the center piece is not bottoming out. The rest of the stuff was removed and I ran a longer return line as well. (5/16 is pretty hard to bend with a cheapo tube bender)

One thing I did different than I have seen is for the filter. I used the wix filter found through a search on this site (3270 if memory serves) but cut forward of the tank along the frame rail. I used two 5/16 compression fittings to 1/8 female NPT. Then used 1/8 npt to rubber tube male (slip over pieces) and used that to mount the filter. I will get some pics when it is sunny again.

One scary thing, while doing this I noticed that the bolt for the rear leaf, front hanger was missing the nut/tab piece and that the bolt was backing out. Sure glad i caught it, now I need to find the right sized bolt. Its larger than 16mm, cause that is the biggest I have and its too small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.