Ready to pull the trigger on a chip, but lots of ?s first! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ready to pull the trigger on a chip, but lots of ?s first!

I am ready to buy a Phoenix, but I have many questions.

First this is the run down on my truck.

2000 F350 4x4 7.3 PSD w/Auto

Mods:
DIY 6637 Induction
Stock Exhaust w/Walker BTM Muffler
Triple Pod w/Pyro, Boost, & Tranny Temp.
33" Tires

Truck Use:
Not daily driver but sees about 4500 miles a year.
Tows a 6500 lb. trailer from time to time.

What I Want:
Better shifting.
More power without killing the truck.
Better fuel mileage.

Now to my questions, I have listed what I "think" the tunes should be on my chip. These selections are followed by questions... lots of questions...

#1 Stock - Do I even need this? Why/When would I use this? My state has no emissions testing BTW. Can't I just unplug the chip if needed, or is this unpractical? Would continual plugging and unplugging wear the chip/ECM out?

#2 XXhp Tow - I don't know which one. My trailer weight is about 6500 lbs, however, I live in a very mountianous area. Many long, steep grades. Should I do the 80hp or 65hp tow? What is the difference between the 2 beside the obvious hp difference... shift points maybe?

#3 XXhp Daily Driver - Once again not sure which one. Does one offer more economy than the other?

#4 XXhp Performance - You guessed it, don't know. Torn between 80hp and 100hp. What is the difference between a 80hp DD tune and a 80hp performance tune? What is the difference between a 100hp performance tune and a 100hp race tune?

#5 XXhp Race - 3 options here again, still no idea. Can I really get 140hp out of a tune? Will the 140hp even be usable without the egt's going through the roof? Is the 100hp or 120hp more realistic?

#6 High Idle X,XXXrpm - Not sure here either. I idle my tuck to operate a winch from time to time and occasionally while making quick stops running errands. So, what RPM and why?

I mainly want more power, any economy picked up is a bonus. I just don't want to put some tunes in that will never be used, because they run too hot or are not practical. My thoughts are that I will mostly use the daily driver setting around town, obviously the tow tune while towing, the performance tune when running late for work , and the race tune when I feel the urge.

If you have read this far, you deserve a medal and thank you for your time. All reponses are greatly appreciated. I just want to do this once and get it right on the first try. Maybe I'm over thinking this whole thing? Is there really a big difference between the daily driver, performance, and race tunes? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your set on the phoenix just give php a call and they can walk you threw any and all them questions or you could step up and get the Fu package and would be able to burn your own chip and try ever tune they have and see what you like the best

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdock View Post
If your set on the phoenix just give php a call and they can walk you threw any and all them questions or you could step up and get the Fu package and would be able to burn your own chip and try ever tune they have and see what you like the best

Personally, I would do the 80hp DD, (not much difference from the 60) 100 Performance, and the 140 Race, and the Moderate tow tunes.

I have and love the Phoenix chip, PHP was great to work with.

And btw, 100hp Performance is my daily driver tune.... I just LOVE the power and the firm shifts.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdock View Post

I was going to do just that but their wedsite had this:

"If you are a potential, new, or current customer and have basic questions, we strongly encourage you to use the PHP Forum. Answers to many basic questions can be found there."

I have posted this question on their forum as well as this one. If I can't get what I need by doing that I'll give them a call.

I don't need the added features of the FU. I will not be changing tunes once I get it right.

Thanks for the response!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post

Personally, I would do the 80hp DD, (not much difference from the 60) 100 Performance, and the 140 Race, and the Moderate tow tunes.

And btw, 100hp Performance is my daily driver tune.... I just LOVE the power and the firm shifts.
Can you see a MPG difference between the 100hp Performance and the 80hp DD? Is there a big difference power wise between the 140hp race and the 100hp performance? What effect do the tunes have on your EGTs?

Thanks for the response!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72 View Post
Can you see a MPG difference between the 100hp Performance and the 80hp DD? Is there a big difference power wise between the 140hp race and the 100hp performance? What effect do the tunes have on your EGTs?

Thanks for the response!

I also run the PHP 100 h/p as my daily driver setting. I'll switch to the 80 DD for hwy driving and I do notice my best mileage with this setting [better than the 65DD]

There is a big difference between the 140race and the 100 performance settings.

The race tunes will raise your EGT's especially during heavy acceleration.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM

Based on my experience these are the tunes I would suggest.

80 DD
100 Performance
140 Race
a tow tune to suit your needs

these are the 4 you will actually use on a regular basis.

use the last 2 for personal preference
Old 01-08-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:

100p. is my daily driver also. Shifts great and only smokes if you want it to.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue72 View Post

Thanks for the response!
There was maybe 1mpg difference, hard to tell for sure. They definitely shift differently, and the 100hp feels more powerful. The 120 (I have an 02 so 120 is the highest) feels the strongest, but smokes more and your EGT's will be higher. Heck, I know a guy that runs his on 120 Race all the time.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
There was maybe 1mpg difference, hard to tell for sure. They definitely shift differently, and the 100hp feels more powerful. The 120 (I have an 02 so 120 is the highest) feels the strongest, but smokes more and your EGT's will be higher. Heck, I know a guy that runs his on 120 Race all the time.
Wow 120 race as dd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.