Doing some mods, what am i forgetting?... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Doing some mods, what am i forgetting?...

First of all, i've been doing a lot of research & reading on here & appreciate all the info to be had. I haven't posted anything yet, but since most of my upgrade parts have been shipped, i wanted some opinions on my setup before i start the install...

My truck is a '01 F350 2wd Auto, Crew Cab LWB Dually. Currently stock except for Bully Dog 6-position chip, ebay k&n style intake, stock 3" downpipe & 3.5" straight exhaust.
Got 204k miles on her, has some type of trailer behind it 75% of the time. Been losing power & hard to start recently, so had my buddy check it & showed 2 bad injectors on computer & all but a couple sounded weak during the "buzz test". All 8 holes had between 400 to 420 psi on compression test. Only other code that i remember was from EBV sensor. Probably clogged line, as i've never cleaned it. Intake tubes were oily so we were thinking turbo seals possibly leaking, but now realize it was probably the ccv dumping oil residue. Some wear on turbo wheel too.

So i figured it was time to do some maintenance & upgrades. I replaced glow plugs, valve cover gaskets & injector wiring harnesses. All but 2 injectors sounded weak during test again & all 4 on passenger side barely made a difference unplugging the wire with engine running & cold. So I decided to dig deep in my shallow pockets & throw some parts at it...

So here's what i have and/or have ordered...
-Industrial Injection Stage 1 split shots
-Garrett 38R turbo
-EBV delete turbo pedestal & turbo outlet
-Flo-Pro 4" downpipe, 5" straight from there back
-Riff Raff Intake kit
-Bully Dog "Watchdog" digital gauge/ diagnostic setup
-AIH delete plug & sensors
-HPX line
-Riff Raff regulated return fuel kit (not sure what psi spring i need to install)

Also plan on the diy in-tank mod, foil delete on boost pipe, diy ccv mod. Had my radiator cleaned & cleaned out my stock intercooler.
Would like to upgrade my trans cooler as well, 6.0 cooler or large aftermarket one?

I know many on here will tell me to throw the Bully Dog in the trash & get a custom tuned TS chip. I may do that later, but trying to keep my priorities ($) under the hood first.

Is there anything i am looking over or need to re-think?...

What do i need to do about boost control? Boost fooler? Wastegate controller?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody?...

No opinions?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:09 AM
Banned

Don't go with those injectors, if you stick with the bullydog you're never gonna have anything worth a dern, go with some stage 1 singles and custom tunes, everything else mentioned aint too bad
Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well, maybe i'm wrong about them being split shots. Their website says code "AB".

Shop | Category: 99.5-2002 AD Injectors | Product: 99.5-02 Reman 120cc 60hp Stage 1
Old 01-04-2012, 05:54 AM
Banned

dude you don't drive a cummins, the only places you should be buy injectors are full force, swamps, unlimited, rosewood, or pis. put down that damn diesel power mag and do some research around here
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Haha, ain't looked at one in about 5 years...

I had already ordered the Industrial's before i really researched different brands on this site. I still haven't seen any bad reviews on em, other than someone with a warranty issue a few years ago.

I ordered them from Meyer Performance by the advise of a D-max driving buddy of mine. Seems like all my buddies with 7.3's have never done any work to em, so they couldn't tell me much...

In hindsight, i probably would have gone with Swamps. But my $ and core charge has already been sent. By the time i waited for a refund, & ordered Swamps i'd be looking at too much downtime. I've already pushed a couple of jobs back while waiting on parts...

Do you think the Industrial's are bad parts, or just that there are better ones to be had?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Banned

so you spent 2000 on those injectors? if so you need to be slapped. for 1000 you can have a set of stage 1 from full force or unlimited or rosewood. they say ab's which is smaller that what you have in your stock ad's but you need to do everything in your power to stop this or just bite the bullet and realized you screwed up big time. there is a reason they measure twice cut once
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Putting a larger nozzle on a split shot injector like they are doing there will only make the atomization that much worse. The guys here are right, single shot injectors will perform better and make more power with better efficiency. I realize down time is an issue, but so is a smokey underpowered truck.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did spend $1800.
Didn't realize there was that much price difference. So i can actually buy the single shot stage 1 & a new chip cheaper than the spilt shots...

Looks like Full Force has best warranty & core charge is cheaper than Unlimited.

Would you guys recommend their stage 1's for my other mods? Or would the stage 2's be better suited for my setup?

And by the way, i am new to the performance side of diesels. Learning as i go here...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Since you have pmr's I'd prolly stick with the stage 1, but with some of that money you could look into an upgraded hpop (srp1 or t500) or go with a real regulated return.

Last edited by bruce51d; 01-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.