Installing electric Fan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing electric Fan

After doing some research iv realized that im better off leaving my fan clutch assembly and just adding an additional pusher fan In the front of the truck to help cool All the coolers and a/c condensors. Now my question is Does anyone have suggestions as far as wiring or thermostat tempetures or part #? Ideally i would like to wire it so it can only be on when igition is open and thermostat switch reaches certain tempeture automatically. I just wanted some advice as far as where to mount thermostat probe(a/c condensor or Transmission cooler) And what will be proper operating temp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why?

There is ZERO reason to add anything to the stock set up. You will NEVER have overheating issues with the stock set up. NEVER.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM

Your best bet for keeping things cool will be to pull the intercooler out, use a blow-off gun and blow all the dust and bugs out of everything really well, then mount some window/door bug screen on the back of the grille or on the front of the A/C condenser to keep all the crap out.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:38 AM

If the stock cooling system isn't keeping your engine cool, there's something wrong with it. These Power Strokes have plenty cooling capacity as they are (other than upgrading the AT cooler to one of the 6.0l units).
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Had put two electric oversized fans (over sized by mfg specs) on an 85 gasser and burned up the engine. Keep the clutch.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:03 PM

If you did add another fan, I'd definitely leave the stock fan and clutch. The only place I'd ever think of adding an elec fan would be at the very bottom for the PS and trans cooler.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys you just talked me into saving my self a few bucks, Stock setup it is, except for the 6.0 a/t trans cooler which a friend gave me today
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic250 View Post
Thanks guys you just talked me into saving my self a few bucks, Stock setup it is, except for the 6.0 a/t trans cooler which a friend gave me today
lucky
I'd make sure to clean it up GOOD if it's used. No telling what could be in there.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a discussion I've been having with a buddy of mine (More a brainstorm)

I've got NO overheating issues whatsoever, but my main problem is the good ol' slushbox getting hot when 4x4ing or hauling wood and such in my local summer temps (40 deg C and up).

My thought on the use of electric fans, is that I can turn them on constantly while driving slowly, like in 4LO up a hill, and possibly get better airflow then the stock fan whizzing away.

I already have a custom built-by-me B&M trans cooler on top of my stock 4R100 cooler, but in this kinda weather, the cooler the better for the damn trans.

The other advantage is it'll give me faster warm-ups in the winter, where it get's the exact opposite, and goes to -15 deg C.

I'm looking to see what ya'll have to say about electrics for low speed cooling, yay or nay. I already have a set of Flex-A-Lites that I got new on a helluva deal, so it up to the decidion of 'Will it cool better'??
Old 01-05-2012, 05:17 AM

The electric fans will not outflow the stock fan once that clutch is engage. The only good thing is you'll be pushing air over the trans cooler like you said. And like I said, that's the only time I would consider an electric fan: when leaving the stock intact and adding one at the bottom for the trans.
Have you seen how big a 6.0 cooler is to your B&M and stock one? Just curious cause I've never seen the B&M.
And you won't get faster warm up times really because, if the thermostat is operating correctly, then it won't let coolant into the radiator until it's ready anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electric fan pusher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.