Want more power..where do i start, - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want more power..where do i start,

I have an 01 7.3 that I am looking to get more get up and go out of. It has a banks big head on the factory turbo and I am assuming a superchips program.(Thats what it says down by the brake pedal anyhow) It has 4'' exhaust but not the down pipe from the turbo. I am new to anything diesel upgrade oriented and really could use the help. I know a aftermarket air filter is first and foremost but where do l go from there. Can I remove the program thats in it already and go to something more adjustable. I dont have an unlimited budget have priced turbos,and wheels,and other parts but I just dont know where to start. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Banned

you pimped out a stock turbo, and got nothing in return, those parts fix surge, not performance,

you cannot stack programming in a 7.3, last i knew.

k&n is known to dust engines, though if you gotta complete kit it might not be as bad, its the stock replacement filter thats bad.

the HPx and the FRx are debateable. the FRx will get eliminated if you do a rr, and the HPx its hit and miss on ppls trucks if it helps or not. some do, some dont.

edge programming doesnt attempt to tune the trans. the extra power the motor creates is not compensated in the trans, for instance increasing line pressure, changing shift points to make better use of the power, etc etc.

imo, the only things i would have done is the exhaust, MAYBE the ic, the bypass, and cuz your a ex, the dual alt.

here, read this, and go from there. some of the conversion stuff is geared towards a truck, i dont know if it will fit your ex.

when looking to upgrade your truck, its all done in steps. from the guy only wanting some basic things, to the guy just looking for a little more, to the guy wanting full blown power. this is how i personally would do it. this is not the order it needs to be done, as it can be mixed and matched in any order. this is just a general guide to get you started.

hutch and harpoon. always first, imo $50-150 the hutch and harpoon are optional. the hutch is recommended. even if you do nothing else to your truck, the hutch is recommended. this is it. Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page the reason being, is with the return coming into the tank right next to the fuel pickup, any air in the return line is then sucked right back up into the fuel line. air is bad for our heui injectors. the harpoon mod just lets you fill up the tank, 29 of 30 gallons of it, without having to stand there for 5 hours, pumping real slow to cram the last 4 gallons in. if your already in there doin the hutch mod, the harpoon will take about 2 mins.

intake and exhaust $200-1000 i say $1k cuz stacks are not a cheap option. intake, and exhaust pretty much need to be done before anything. the oem air box is known to not seal and dust a motor, and if you put a chip on it, a exhaust is almost a requirement to keep egts in check. 90% of ppl run a 4" turbo back. 5" if you want deeper sound. but 4" is more than enough.

guages/guage pod $300+ i say 300+ depending on how many and what kind he gets (think csipsd) autometer or isspro are stand outs here. 95% of ppl will get a egt, boost, and trans. those are the three main guages you will need. unless your like joe, he has, last i knew, like 15 guages in his cab.

chip $400-600 depending on where he gets it, read this. Chip comparison and discussion links. - PowerStrokeNation if you still have a question on chip, i will call bs on you read that thread

rr $250-500 can you DIY or have to buy one, do you delete the bowl now, or just the RR. your truck as what is called a dead head fuel system. fuel goes from the tank, through fuel pump, to fuel bowl, through filter, to heads. any air that makes it past the fuel bowl has no where to go, except through the injector. like i said earlier, this is bad. a regulated return allows any air that gets into the heads, to flow through the heads, back to the tank, where hopefully you have done the hutch mod already. this is one version of the RR. Driven Diesel 7.3L Regulated Return Kit if you are mechanically inclined, and a DIYer, i made my own for $250. there are many versions of this, many sponsers sell it. i know irate sells it, and its mostly hard line, as opposed to braided hose like the one i posted from strictly. he dont have pics up, but this is jakes site. Irate Diesel performance ‚€ĘPower Stroke Performance . i personally used a fuelab regulator, regular steel hydraulic fittings, and some parkerstore pushlok hose. there is some talk about whether or not fuel that is heated goin to the tank is bad, but can be fixed with a fuel cooler. thats more of a to each his own opinion thing at this point.

that sets the foundation and gets the required basics out of the way to then go farther.

studs/springs/pushrods $750-1200 these are things that are just cheap insurance for a guy with stage1 or 2 injectors, a requirement of some one goin for stage 3 injectors. studs will help keep from blowing a head gasket. ARP and H11 are the two main companies. springs most ppl just use comp 910's. push rods, pic a sponser, they can get them

hpop (high pressure oil pump). our motors use high pressure oil to push the fuel out of the injectors. here http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87775/7/pehp9526.pdf is a general overview of how our injection system works. another thread here, also with some good links is this one. How Does A HEUI injector REALLY work? - PowerStrokeNation it is very possible, depending on mileage, and how the truck was maintained before you got it, that just by putting on a new hpop(even a stock one) you could very well have what feels like a brand new truck. the two most common ones short of full on big oil, would be the srp1 Beans Diesel Performance - Stealth Stock Replacement HPOP (SRP1) (Powered by CubeCart) and the adrenaline PUMPS ORDERED TODAY WILL NOT BE SHIPPED UNTIL AT LEAST MAY 26th - 1994-2003 7.3L Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP with the srp1 flowing a little more oil.

trans-depending on how far you want to go with your truck hp wise will determine this one. $750-4500 just a quality torque converter and valve body, or a BTS

the rest of the fuel system, upgraded fuel pump, anything you didnt do in the RR step. $250-?, what kidna pump did you choose, fuelab and aeromotive are stand outs, and what didnt you do in the RR step.

injectors $1000+ cores for reman stage 1's, to the skys the limit on some exotic high flowing competition only injectors
turbo $1400 on the 38r, a simple drop in replacement for stock, to the sky's the limit again on exotic twins and plumbing

to maintain durability and maybe gain some mpg, and your not looking for eye popping performance, just a little more git-up-n-go, just get you a set of stage 1's, maybe a set of 2's, (injectors). any sponser can get you injectors. some of the injector builders, or sponsers that sell them that stand out in my head are, beans diesel performance, swamps diesel, unlimited, and full force diesel, and rosewood. that is not in any particular order. any tuner can tune those injectors to be real happy with your stock turbo. if your just looking for a small increase, and dont want to have lots of power, dont let ppl talk you into spending $3k on a set of hybrids when a simple $1k stg1 will more than do what you want from your truck.

i said maintain durability, because anytime you turn up the hp, durability goes down. its just a simple fact. with the advances in tuning nowadays, the durability bar has been raised. these things are now living at higher power levels with out failures than even 1 year ago. if you talk to a tuner, thank him for that.

before you decide to make a purchase, call a sponser or three and ask his opinion. what he has, what he would do with your money, how he would spend it. there is not a bad sponser on here, and all are highly knowledegable. call, tap into that knowledge. there are not stupid questions. if you dont know, ask, they will help you. the only thing stupid is not asking that question you want to know the answer to.

you did not pick a cheap platform to build power on. you did however, pick a realiable as hell one. switch out to a full synthetic motor oil, such as shaeffers. change it often. these things dont last properly with dirty oil. clean oil is your friend. simple regular maintanence makes these things bullet-proof in stock form, and more durable in non-stock form. slack on maintenance and it will tell you.

there are also cosmetic things you can do to your truck. for instance, the mirrors that are standard on 02 and up trucks will bolt right up to our trucks. the tow mirrors. even the ones on a 08. you will have to change the plug on the truck, and if your goin to heat and power and turn from non heated/power/turn you will need to change some wiring in the door, and run some new wires to control the new functions on your mirrors.

the 05-07 front end will bolt up. grille, header panel, headlights, bumper and upper and lower covers. if you go complete like that, you will also need the bumper brackets.

if you just like the harley headlights, you can tub out your existing header panel to make the new headlights fit, or just buy a 05-07 header panel and it will bolt right up and the head lights will fit right in. it needs to be noted that if goin to the newer headlights, you will need the pigtail adapter, or cut and create your own to make the new light work.

there are mix and match options for front end conversions all over ebay
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sorry about bruce51d's confusing post. Sometimes in a desire to sound important and knowledgeable, some people will copy and paste old threads from other forums.

The first question you need to ask yourself is what are your long term plans for the truck? Are you looking to keep it long term? What is your budget? And how much more power are you looking for?

Post back what you are looking for and we can help you out. We love spending other people's money.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Banned

well i would have just posted a link to it but the 2 forums don't really get along but the thread is called newbies lookin for more power
Old 12-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Its not that. The issue is that you could bother to give the OP a response of your own. You just regurgitated some crap you found elsewhere. The posts you copy/pasted at least had links in them originally. You couldn't even be bothered to make the links work. On top of that one of the posts you copied was written to someone with an Excursion and talked about dual alternators. You couldn't even be bothered to find content that pertained to the OP.

Try being original. Post thoughts from your own head. Be a service to people here instead of just trying to look important.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

What I posted should be a sticky on this site as well. But don't you get tired of going over the same stuff everyday
Old 12-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Not really. I was new to this once. If I am in a mood where I don't want to answer questions, I don't log in. I am thankful for those that were there to answer my dumb questions in the beginning. Now I pay it forward.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks duck fan.. that first reply was like trying to read instructions to assemble a rocket ship, I apologise if I posted this in the wrong forum area. As for my truck I bought it just the way it is the upgrades done to it were in place when I purchased it. Im not looking to race it but dusting a ricer from a stop light occasionaly would certinally be ok....I plan on keeping this truck as long as humanly possible.If anything major went wrong tomorrow I wouldnt hesitate to fix it. My friend has an 01 like mine and he has a program to lock the converter in the 2-3 shift? I like the exhaust brake but when it shifts it REALLY jerks viloently and pulling 15k lbs worth of trailer I cant see that being good on the driveline. I dont mean to be stupid to this but Im new to this and any replies in lay-mans terms are greatly appreciated.I have had this truck 3 years now and basically its been trouble free. I have gotten so many different opions I dont know where to start. My formost question is what to do about the ecm and how to make the program more adjustable. Basically looking for the best bang for my buck without going deep in the motor.... Thanks, David

Last edited by drummondracing; 12-28-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:15 PM

David, first off, get rid of the Superchips. You 'll want to move on to a custom tuner like DP Tuner or PHP. I personally am partial to DP Tuner but everyone has their opinions. With a custom tuner, you can select from several different tunes based on your needs and switch them on the fly.

DP Tuner

Secondly, best thing you can do for your trans at this point besides switching tuners, is to put a custom valve body in it. The two biggest names are John Wood and BTS (Brian's Truck Shop). I have driven trucks with both and I am partial to John's VB

John Wood Valve Body

The most common aftermarket air filter setup is to go with the 6637 filter on the stock intake piping. Many of us have been running this filter for years and it works excellent. I have driven 450-500hp trucks running this filter.

Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit

Above all of this, whenever you start modding a diesel, its vital to have gauges installed to keep track of what your engine is doing. When I started out, I went with Autometer gauges because they were well known and inexpensive. In looking back, I would have preferred to go with the Performax line from ISSPRO. They are beyond easy to install and you only have to run a couple of wires into the cab. Spend the money up front and make life easier on yourself.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Isspro Performax

These things alone should be enough to get you started. But don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of opinions out there and a lot of them are right and a lot of them are just regurgitations of what someone read somewhere else. Read and learn for yourself.

Ultimately, if you are happy with your truck, who cares what someone else's opinion is.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

ok hoss here you go
first: gauges (exhaust gas temp, boost trans temp)
2: intake (diy or whatever you choose, 6637 is what i like)
3: exhaust (you can straight pipe or go full 4" with the price of 4" its silly not to)
4: tranny (you can start off with just a valve body (bts or other) and a 6.0 cooler and good fluid (schaeffers all trans) or go all out on a bts or whatever)
5: tuning (custom tuned ts chip (tuned by beans, swamps, gearhead, tyrant, tony wildman, php,di) or a dp tuner)
6. free mods, you can do these at any time (ccv mod, zoodad, foil delete, ect)
7. turbo, if you get your stuff tuned you will prolly get surge you can get a wicked wheel or a ported compressor housing from ats to eliminate surge. or you can go 38r or you can go t4/t4i route.
8. eveything else. you prolly have pmr which are powdered metal rods sucks holmes, but there are a few runnin around makin some power myself included. eventually you can upgrade your injectors and hpop and fuel system, which i think regulated return and hutch are great and i also think any kind of better than oem hpop (srp1, t500, adreneline) is the best mod you can do besides a chip. just figure out what you want and how deep you pockets are and you can have a pretty sweet rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.