Need help just installed my chip! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help just installed my chip!

I just installed my tony wildman chip with six postion and when I put it on extreme, when I was 3/4 throttle or better my "service engine soon" light comes on and back off when I let off the throttle, can someone inform me why it does that. My engine oil does need changing but not for 200 miles more and it's still cleaner then my gas trucks oil and it's to the full mark. P.S. I have a early 99 powerstroke. I appreciate any help thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
May be your hpop or an overboost code.. do you have a scanner?
Old 12-25-2011, 03:21 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
You most likely are getting an over boost code. When you let off your throttle the over boost situation goes away and there for the light goes off. This is common when running a chip. You can make a boost fooler with an air pressure regulator. Hook it to your air compressor set it at 20psi. Then with a couple barb fittings you can install it inline with the map sensor. Now your map sensor will never know when you go over 20psi and will prevent the cel from coming on from an over boost code.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:24 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^ what he said.. there's a sticky in here telling you how to make a boost fooler, and easiest place to install it..
Old 12-25-2011, 03:32 PM

I understand what your talking about, now is this safe on my engine? Why is the boost guage only set for 20 psi anyways?thanks for your all help
Old 12-25-2011, 03:37 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley3054 View Post
I understand what your talking about, now is this safe on my engine? Why is the boost guage only set for 20 psi anyways?thanks for your all help
The turbo is mapped to max out at about 25psi. With the chip you are hitting around 30psi when you are on the throttle hard in extreme setting.

The stock program is to run max 22psi. There for if you set the regulator at 20psi you will never go out of the normal range of.

Is it bad for the engine, not really how ever you could cause a turbo surge problem. Which will cause damage to your turbo. Which can be prevented when the time comes with the proper intake, and turbo mods.

You said you have an early 99 so you already have the wicked wheel. So when the time comes you will need the ats housing.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:51 PM

I have the DIY intake with the napa 6337? Or w.e number it is filter, what else would I need to do to pervent a turbo surge? What would need to be done to the ats housing? Is it really something to worry about? Sorry for all the questions lol just trying to inform myself more for my engines sake. Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 03:17 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley3054 View Post
I have the DIY intake with the napa 6337? Or w.e number it is filter, what else would I need to do to pervent a turbo surge? What would need to be done to the ats housing? Is it really something to worry about? Sorry for all the questions lol just trying to inform myself more for my engines sake. Thanks
Are you running gauges, if not I strongly suggest you get some. Exhaust Gas Temp aka pyrometer, Transmission temp, and boost gauge.

For turbo surge if you start seeing your boost gauge flutter then you most likely have turbo surge.

As for the ats housing all you have to do is remove the intake housing of the turbo and install the ats housing. You can do this with the turbo installed. But you will have to disconnect the waste gate valve.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Yes I have guages and I was wondering what is the highest safest egt ur allow till damage? What's really the smarter thing to do I see they have so many upgrades for the stock turbos but wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a performance turbo?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:51 PM

I believe it is about 1300-1350 on the EGT's and don't stay around there too long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.