Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

up pipe gaskets

9K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  dentexpowerstroke 
#1 ·
My up pipes are leaking and Im trying to decide what to do. Beans has brass up pipe gaskets for about 85 or I can get bellowed pipes for 450. Anybody used the beans gaskets? If so whats your thoughts on them. I really dont have 500 to shell out for up pipes right now but if the brass gaskets arent worth a s*** then Ill save up the money. Any opinions are appreciated thanks guys!

#2 ·
I was thinking abourt doing the brass gaskets too. Had my truck for ten years now, not sure if I am gonna have it that much longer to justify the $500 for new ups, althought they seem to be the way to go if your gonna keep the rig.

#3 ·
How long are you going to keep her... The bellowed are an investment. I did em cause I plan to be buried in the truck.

From iPhone forum junkie

#4 ·
Thats pretty much how I am too. This thing is my baby and I dont plan on getting rid of it. But, like I said I dont really wanna spend that money now. I figure if I can put the brass ones in and get 5 years from them Ill do a 38r and ceramic pipes at the sane time. Anybody know how long the brass lasts?

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free

#5 ·
The Bean's brass donuts aren't a bad choice, the only problem is that I have seen on several trucks now where the OEM donuts have worn a groove or in some cases a hole in the up-pipe so then the brass donuts won't do a bit of good. By then you have already torn the pipes apart and your truck is down while you wait for bellowed pipes you weren't prepared to buy.

Also, bellowed pipes for $450-$500 aren't the only option. Try just over $400 Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03

#6 ·
Thanks for the link!! Thats a damn good price. Think the ceramic coating is worth the extra $$?

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free

#9 ·
or you can solve all your problems and go t4 with somethin like a s366. seems like a lot but if you go bellowed up pipes with a 38r you will have pretty much the same money tied up and still wont have as nice a set up

#11 ·
Man, you change opinions fast. An hour and a half before you said this, you said the opposite in another thread:

i would try to get a 38r. most places have them for under 1300 these days and they are a solid investment.
If you are going to spout off random useless tips for people, at least be consistent.

#12 ·
Well if a person has an e99 or has up pipe leaks then im gonna suggest s366 on t4 which is what u have now nut if the person only wants ac's and conservative power then I suggest the 38r, I have run both so I can give opinions

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free

#13 ·
So your suggesting that a guy who has up-pipe leaks that can be forever fixed for just over $400 instead spend well over that plus have a T4 mount and set-up fabricated? Talk about wasting money. The OP mentioned he didn't have $500. How the heck is he going to get a S366 and a T4 set up?

#14 ·
A persons money situation is not my problem and I know tons of people who wish the would have went t4 right off the bat instead of 38r myself included. Maybe they don't have the money now but can save up and have the best set up money can buy

#16 ·
I know people run 366 with anything from ad's to 250/200's and everyone likes it. If anyone can swing the money for one which aint much more than 38r with bellowed up pipes then of course I would

#18 ·
If anyone can swing the money for one which aint much more than 38r with bellowed up pipes then of course I would

Original post:

My up pipes are leaking and Im trying to decide what to do. Beans has brass up pipe gaskets for about 85 or I can get bellowed pipes for 450. Anybody used the beans gaskets? If so whats your thoughts on them. I really dont have 500 to shell out for up pipes right now but if the brass gaskets arent worth a s*** then Ill save up the money. Any opinions are appreciated thanks guys!
So now how is a T4 and a S366 going to help the OP? If someone is on an unlimited budget and wants to know what turbo and up-pipes to go with, thats one thing but you're not helping.

This is helping:

I vote DI's one piece kit if your staying with stock turbo or going with a 38r, I have it and its a great product.

#17 ·
I vote DI's one piece kit if your staying with stock turbo or going with a 38r, I have it and its a great product.

#19 ·
You will most likely find the up pipes chewed up around where the doughnut gasket seals. 95% of the time the pipes will be chewed up badly. This will require replacement of both up pipes. Also it is very common for the bolts to break off in the Y pipe flange. They can be drilled out but it is a royal PITA. Up pipes are going to cost you around $200, doughnut gaskets at $85, and possible Y pipe flange at $100 or so. So right there you're at $385. Do yourself a favor and save the money for the new style bellows kit.

#20 ·
I have read that more than once on here, but in my case my stock uppipes were in good shape even though they were leaking. 196k miles on them, and were leaking on the passenger side only, upon removal the passenger side pipe fell out of the collector without even touching the bolts.

Here is the thing though, as stated before by others the t4 kit with an s366 is 2200 or something like that, I spent 500 on the up pipes and 1400 on the 38r, which in hindsight I wish I had gone the t4 route cause it opens the door to so many options. So you need to decide what your plan is for the truck, how long you want to keep it... Thinking long term. If maybe saving your money now for something better is a better route do that. Perhaps try stock, or the chevy doughnuts and see if that seals the pipes for a while. Its not that time consuming to take apart and really isn't that difficult. :icon_ford:

#27 ·
My bad! See told you misreading things on here is easy... I am guilty as well. No harm no foul.. Killer looking Ex by the way. Love the black rim look, looks clean!

Sorry for the clutter OP...

#28 ·
I heard you can replace the gaskets with crushable chevy exahust gaskets, which are thicker and if the pipes are worn a bit, and your looking for a cheap fix to get by you may look into them.

Carquest.com gaskets, part #F17250.

#30 ·
i was gonna recommend the chevy donuts or spring the money on bellowed if you can. i know the chevy ones will get you by if your stockers wore the metal down. bellowed are by far the best choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.