Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

anyone who has gauge pods, small issue...

8K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  irishluck 
#1 ·
SO i hooked up my gauges today. Finally got them done.

The only one i hooked up mainly was the trans temp sensor since the exhaust sensor is bad and will be sending back. And then im having small issue finding the map sensor vacuum hose for the boost gauge.

So i got the truck turned on, all the gauges turn on and look great.

But my temp gauge doesn't seem to be working right. I put the sensor in the pressure port in front of the shift linkage on the driver side of tranny.

Well the temp gauge automatically just shoots to the 300 mark, or the highest point on the gauge and doesn't move.

I hooked the sensor up right. It has 2 wires, white and black, white basically goes into the green wire on the gauge. and black to a ground.

Anyone know why this would be? Maybe a bad sensor?

Also does anyone know where the MAP sensor vacuum house is?

behind my Map sensor there is a white hose and a black vacuum hose.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well i ddi check the ground and its got a good solid ground.

im going to pull out the sensor and take a look at it and then maybe ill try to re ground it and just see if that may be it like you said.

Ill check that sensor again and see if i can find it

Thanks for the help, ill be back in a few with what ive found

#5 ·
How much Teflon tape did you use on the threads in the pressure port? It needs to have a lil metal to metal there too... Grounding-wise.

Sounds like a ground issue... Mine did the same til I moved it.

iPhone forum junkie

#6 ·
Well i didn't use any Teflon tape. It didn't seem need to be sealed as the other bolt that came out wasn't. And it also doesn't seem to be grounded through the sensor itself since it has 2 wires coming from it.

But i did call up to tech support since they sent me a screwed up exh temp sensor and also asked them about that and they did say it most likely is a bad ground so I'm just going to relocate the ground to somewhere else and see what happens

#13 · (Edited)
yes i did tap the boost line into the map sensor line

Okay this farrel thing. I received these 2 small pieces like such in the image above. But they look more like cones.

So your saying i put the line through the fitting, put the farrel on the line inside the fitting, screw it down and it crushes and crushed into the line basically?

Yea I didn't know about this=/

(when i do drive the truck, what is the pressure suppose to run at?

No mods except whats listed in my signature.

Also whats the trans temp suppose to run at, mines running at 120*F.

#14 · (Edited)
A stock 7.3 will make between 15-17 psi boost at WOT under load.

I would expect the trans temp to be 75*-100* over ambient when unloaded. Never let it exceed 225*

You got an exhaust temp gauge, too...right? Pre-turbo temps will likely read around 600* when cruising at highway speed in a stock 2wd truck. Never let it exceed 1250* for more than 10 seconds or so. This should not be a concern in a stock truck, though.

#15 ·
Correct. When you start to tighten it, you will notice it doesn't pull out like before. Make it good and snug. If you do that to both ends of your boost tube it will work for sure.

Depending how hard you're on the throttle your pressure will change. At idle it will not show any pressure. Your max boost will be 18 or 19psi at WOT

#16 ·
Yea i had no idea that the was what that little cone piece was for:tard:

So in this, i wont need to use lock tight of any sort would I.

Yea I did receive an exhaust temp sensor too.

Ill actually be putting that in the exhaust manifold. I noticed when i was installing the trans temp that there was a exhaust temp installed before.(the old one is still in it) so ill just be removing it and installing the new temp sensor.

I am also getting ready to buy a chip.

Will this affect the boost and exhaust temp? Im sure it will.

And i know Exhaust temp doesn't want to exceed 1250* i dont want my pistons to melt=/ ha

I appreciate the info on this. Hopefully i can get the rest of it installed tonight and check back on the status of it!

#17 ·
I had several attempts to get my boost gauge working. DO NOT tighten the brass fittings on the little ferule too tight. It will crush it so hard into the plastic tube that it will plug it. Slip the cap on the line and then the ferule, then put the line into the female end and hand tighten. I lost that little sucker in the valley like three times. If you happen to do this you can get it out with a magnet or like me a coat hanger with gum on the end. LOL

#20 ·
How you gonna use a magnet on a brass fitting???? :tard:

:hehe: :hehe:

But, I agree. It is very easy to overtighten. Make it finger tight then another 1/2 turn or so on the nut and thats it. Check to see if it won't pull out though.

#19 ·
These are the Extra pieces.

The image with the single item in it, is that the farrel?

Attachments

#23 ·
They did send me instructions, and the only thing it really told me how to do was how to wire the gauges up. Also that I had to drill and tap to install sensors, didn't tell me what any of those other pieces in those pics were for or what to use them for.

#24 ·
Well i got the 2nd gauge working, so the tranny and exh temp are good.

The exhaust temp gauge works great!

Now ill get the boost gauge finished tomorrow

#29 ·
Thats under load. from stop to go, giving it PLENTY of gas. It only hits maybe 10, but stays around 8.

I wasn't in park doing this.

Now im going to try and check were i spliced my line into and see if maybe its leaking there.

I spliced my line maybe about 3 inches away from the map sensor itself. Should i have gotten farther away?

Anyways, that's where I'm going to check first!

#31 ·
doesnt seem under powered. My truck has had white smoke out of the exhaust for about 3 months now.

Took it to a ford dealer and they said there wasnt anything wrong with it

#33 ·
So exhaust leak would cause white smoke?

The fumes dont smell really like diesel fuel. Like it does, but maybe like its not fully burning?

Its not really sweet like its burning coolant.

Maybe i didn't tighten down a exhaust pipe tight enough when i installed it?

#35 ·
Well Im thinking i didnt get my boost gauge line hooked up properly so that may be why.

Everytime i start it, white smoke. Doesnt smell like fully burnt fuel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.