Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant Filter bypassing Tstat?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
Ok, got a DIY coolant filter (just like DieselSite's) and I've got ball valves on it and all. Comes off the side of the water pump, Ts into the degas bottle up top.
My question: When the filter is operating and it's cold enough outside, this is allowing coolant to enter the radiator and return back into the motor, keeping it cooler, longer correct?
A thermostat should keep it from happening but when you are removing coolant from under the thermostat (in the motor) and adding coolant above the Tstat (radiator) then there is an imbalance and creating negative pressure under it and positive pressure above forcing it open, right?

#2 ·
I believe the tstat is a one way "check-valve" type... Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Do you have your return routed to the fill bottle or to the rad?

iPhone forum junkie

#3 ·
Yea it's one way. Coolant flows out of the bottom of the pump, into the radiator, up the radiator, then into the thermostat at the top of the pump.
My coolant return runs just like a DieselSite setup and into the small like at the top of the degas bottle which is essentially part of the radiator because that's all that it tees into on either end.
So I am taking coolant from under the t stat and adding coolant to the top side of the t stat when it is flowing which would open the t stat I think so that pressure can be equalized.

#5 ·
Run it...

I have been running the same set up for 8 years without issue.

I'm not even sure what your worried about?

#6 ·
#7 ·
I think I understand, your saying "technically" your bypassing the Tstat, by pulling antifreeze filtering it and putting it back in. And your filter is routed around the Tstat, kinda.

So what potentially the coolant isnt getting to the right temp by "bypassing" the Tstat. But really only small amounts are going through the filter, say even half goes to the filter as much as goes to the Tstat. But then the other non-filter half is going to the Tstat and would eventually reach the optimal temp.

Then the coolant goes around through the motor again, another half is filtered, and another half warms up. So not all the cooant goes through the filter at once. Get what Im saying?

So "technically" the coolant would be taking longer to warm up. But I think the extra time in reality doesnt matter much.

Now dont quote me Im purely saying this for conceptual value.

#8 ·
I think the amount of coolant that is possibly bypassing the thermostat is near negligible since the filter is set up as a bypass and the return flow is restricted. I see where your thought process is going but I would not worry about it.

#9 ·
I don't drive it very far, about 6 miles to work, but I turn it on for about 5-10 mins before I leave if cold, and I do notice a longer warm up time if I leave it open while cold and driving. I know, I need to drive it further, longer but can't really do that. I was just kind of wondering if it really is a big deal or not.
Someday, when I get my ECT hooked up, I'll see how much of a difference it makes, if any.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.