Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

AFE Intake and air filter maintenance?

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ScottWilson 
#1 ·
I bought a 2002 7.3 that already had an AFE intake and air filter installed. How do I clean and oil it? I was told not to use K&N cleaner and oil? Thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
I found this after using google from AFE's website... hopefully this helps ya bud!

Determining if you have an oiled or dry AFE filter
"If the filter is blue (Pro5R) or gold (ProGuard7), then it is oiled. If the filter media is grayish white (Pro Dry S), then it not oiled. With conical filters, look at the top. If it has the "aFe" or "Pro Guard 7" logo printed on the end, then it is an oiled type filter. If the filter has Pro Dry – S printed, it is an oil-free filter. Their may also be a part number on the filter. look for a small circle plug on the urethane part of the filter. There will be a part number located on it. Any numbers with 10-, 30-, 24- are Pro 5R, 11-, 31, 21- are Pro Dry S and any filter number beginning in 7 will be a Pro Guard 7 air filter. If you have further questions, please call us directly at 951-493-7155 and we can help you figure out the filter."

CLEANING THE FILTER
"Before you start to clean the filter, determine whether you have an oiled or oil-free filter. See #1. Also have the appropriate cleaning kit for your filter: #90-50500 for gold, #90-50501 for blue and #90-59999 for oil-free. Follow the steps below. 1) Use a soft bristle brush like a paint brush to remove large chunks of debris and dirt from between the pleats. GENTLY TAPPING the filter on the ground to remove any loose dirt being careful not to bend any of the pleats. 2) Spray the cleaning solution that comes in our Restore Kit, on the dirty side of the filter. Let the cleaning solution soak in for about 10 minutes. 3) Rinse the filter from the clean side of the filter to the dirty side. Repeat spraying and rinsing until the water is clear. Since media will be stained, it will not be completely white and may still appear dirty. 4) DO NOT USE A HIGH PRESSURE WATER NOZZLE when rinsing the filter. 5) Let the filter air-dry. DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR TO DRY THE FILTER! It may take a couple of hours for a Pro DryS to 12 to 24 hours for a Pro5R depending on humidity and temperature. 6) If you have an oil-free Pro Dry-S filter, the cleaning process is completed and the rest of these instructions can be disregarded. 7) After the filter is dry, apply small amount of oil on the top of each pleat. It is not necessary to apply oil down in between the pleats. It is also a good idea to not apply oil all the way to the urethane. Leave about an inch of media un-colored. DO NOT DROWN THE FILTER WITH OIL! The oil will wick out a great deal. 8) Leave the oiled filter for 8 to 12 hours to allow the oil to fully wick. Finally, spot apply oil to areas that still do not have "color" to it."

#3 ·
Your fine to use K and N oil and cleaners... Been doing it for years that way.

Otherwise just like it said above, dont blow dry it, dont use high pressure water.

I clean mine about every 15k or so.

#4 ·
It's cool if you have a laundry tub at home. You can spay them down and let'm stand a while then submerge it warm soapy water and swish it around. Swing it around outside let it dry. It does take some time but do it first thing or before bed for dry time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.