02 7.3L Lookin for some fuel mileage! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking 02 7.3L Lookin for some fuel mileage!

Alright so I'm new on this fourm so I don't know if this has been discussed before so sorry for the possible repost-
-Problem is I have a 2002 ford 7.3l 4dr. long bed 4x4 w/ 12inch lift on 39.5's I've put a K&N intake, 4 in. straight pipe, and bullydog powerpup downloader, and I'm getting like 10mpg in town and 12-13mpg on the highway.
I'm looking to get more mpg's esp. on the highway cause I have a racecar and motorcycles I'm takin racing every weekend,
any suggestions?? (besides taking the lift and tires off lol )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
what gears are you running with that lift/tires? If you are still running the stock 3.73 or 4.10 you can upgrade to 4.56's it won't be a huge increase but it will help.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
BTW
Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like pretty good mileage for an 8000+ pound truck lifted that high with 40" tires. I get 15 mpg at best with my setup, by the way how do you get gooseneck, 5th wheel or any other heavy trailer hooked up to a truck with 12" lift?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

BTW thats not towing I got 8mpg on the highway towing 3 cars on my car hauler, I've got an aluminum featherlite trailer that'll haul 3 cars/trucks and it has spacers for the gooseneck and I simply take out the spacers or add them accordingly, my racecar trailer I have a 10in. drop hitch with a 2&5/16 ball and it'll tow either easlily-
I would like to regear to 4.56 cause the 4.10 or 3.73 gearing keeps it around 2000 at 70mph and I'd like it more arouond 1600, (whats the ideal towing rpm for them??)
I run a used car/smog business and my family owns another automotive business in our home town so the instalilation of the gearing wouldn't be a prob but what would that run me?? I've never looked into it??
Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Welcome to the Site!
I believe 1600-2400 rpm is good.
If you go with 4.56:1 gears, you will tach higher at highway speeds. But your power will be more readily available than with the higher ratio gears.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it you go to 4.56 like he said ^^^^ your RPM will be higgher on the highway and your mileage(SP) will suffer. Although it will help you around town going slower speeds.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:46 PM

sounds really good for your set up
Old 09-04-2007, 05:23 PM

2000rpms at 70mph with 39.5" tires is good enough. Have you had the speedo recalibrated for the tires? If not you're probably going around 85 instead of 70. If you do have it recalibrated, you probably have 4.10's. You're probably not going to get any more MPG with that lift. Radial tires will help a little if you dont already have them. If you drive the highway most of the time then maybe 3.73s but still that is not going to gain many MPG. You didn't buy the truck for great gas mileage, stop keeping track. that way it doesnt sting so much.

Last edited by sirnunya; 09-04-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah no actually the speedo's off 11 according to the ticket I got lol, but yeah I was thinkin the mpg's were good for the tires and lift, I bought the truck cause I got a really good deal on it and as soon as the mudders wear off I'll be knockin it down to a 8 or 10 in. lift with some radial 37's for sure, I'm just new to the diesel thing and figured I could get some insight from the people that know powerstrokes on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.