Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Motor question

851 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Just wondering what all is the same between a 94-98 psd and a 99-03 psd. Can I take a motor from a 97 and bolt my accessories on it and put it in my 02 SD? Also they have forged rods correct? What I'm trying to figure out is can I buy a motor from a 97 and over time build it then put it in my 02?

#7 ·
True... but he was asking if he could swap the motors and bolt on all the accesorys...

Well I found a 97 psd I can get cheap a good running motor. I was wondering if the block and heads and bottom end are the same. I wanna build it over time for the 500hp range then drop it in my 02. I was just wondering will it all match up or is it different somehow?
Do it! Best thing you can do is swap a good running motor. I will NEVER get another "built" or "rebuilt" motor...

just swap the rods between the two.
Any idea how much work is involved in "Just swapping the rods"? You may as well rebuild the entire motor.

#3 ·
Well I found a 97 psd I can get cheap a good running motor. I was wondering if the block and heads and bottom end are the same. I wanna build it over time for the 500hp range then drop it in my 02. I was just wondering will it all match up or is it different somehow?

#5 ·
if you are building it over time id use the bottom end of the obs motor for the rods and put on a different turbo and a bigger hpop that the 15* if your doing a motor swap its not much more to swap the stuff onto the new block and heads. just my .02

#6 ·
Yes, the block and the heads are the same and would work in a later year truck. Only thing different on the heads is intake runners, but they can be swapped rather easy. You would need to switch the oil pan, front cover, HPOP, fuel filter housing, and turbo and pedestal. Basically all the accessories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.