Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Boost?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  codysweat 
#1 ·
I have a 00 F250 with exhaust, intake and TW chip and was only able to get 20lbs of boost pulling at the local sled pull. I had it on the highest tune available but thats all my gauge was able to achieve. I was thinking I may need to replace my wastegate with a big head. I just installed dieselsite's boots and that didn't help any. I am thinking I may have a week stock wastegate diaphram? I have never been able to achieve very high boost ever since I bought this truck. Help, any ideas?

#4 ·
I call uppipe leak

#5 ·
20-22 is about normal for a stock waste gate try unplugging the red line to your waste gate and see what she builds

#6 ·
I have been building on my rig for about a year now and im getting ready to install a
TS 6 position chip. Should I do the boost fooler or unplug the red wire off the wastegate? What do i need to do with the wire if i unplug it? Im only getting about 15-16 psi right now.

#8 ·
Well if you unplug your red line youll need a boost fooler I made mine myself bought a regulator from harbor freight and plumbed it into you rubber line to your map sensor and adjust till your ses light don't come on when at wot. With the chip and red line unplugged you should see 25-28 psi

#9 ·
Thanks for the info. Do I need to plug the red wire into anythg or just secure it.

#10 ·
When the nipple on my wastegate rotted off, I just took the red line and ran it back to the spider and plugged it back into the nipple on the sensor that doesn't go to anything.

I could push 30-32PSI on a hard run with the wastegate unplugged, but anything over 26PSI is just going to wear out your turbo quicker.

#11 ·
Ok im going to do the boost fooler. Still not clear on what i need to do with the red wire???

But thanks guys for your help.

#14 ·
Yes, if you leave the line open it's the equivalent of a boost leak.

Keep in mind tho that you are putting excessive wear on the stock turbo when you are going above 26PSI.

I have the "Turbo Master" on mine, so no need for the red line anyway. But that's what I did with mine when it still had the wastegate on it. I have my turbo master set at 27PSI. :wink[3]:

#16 ·
I just unplugged that little valve and took all that stuff out and plugged my boost guage in the port inthe manifold that the green line went to.

#17 ·
Boost fooler and wastegate unplugged. Thanks for the help guys

#18 ·
put a evap plug on the red line @ the intake put a male evap plug in ur intake amd remove the ugly wastegate actuator off the front of the intake completly im still thinking of something cool to put in the little square area where the sensors removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.