Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

best mods and how to keep it safe

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  JEL 
#1 ·
took off the muffler on my 2002 f-350 7.3 and the turbo sounds great. in the spring im going to do the diy intake and then im thinking of options for my exhaust cause i like a straight pipe but wondered what other options are cheap and very efficient. also in the process of choosing the right chip/programmer but before i do i want to install some gauges. anyone have any reccomendations of which gauges i should have? im thinking a pyro at least but idk what else? i appreciate any and all responses thank you! :ford:

#3 ·
my truck has a tranny one already. how difficult is the install for these gauges? i know you should install the pyro in the drivers side manifold but my manifold is pretty rusty do you think this is still a good idea?

#4 ·
Mine was rusty when me and a buddy installed it. It'll probably be fine. Just make sure you have a good tap to use.

Dieselmanor.com has some helpful instructions for gauge install. Helped us out. Its not that bad at all, though it helps having someone that's done em before. You can do it though.

#5 ·
I'm running autometers love them with zero problems. Boost/pyro/trans you said you already have trans gauge if it's the factory one might want to add one I had factory one after first trans rebuild I added extra gauge you be surprised the difference.

#7 ·
The factory gauge isn't a gauge. It is a joke, seriously. Autometer makes more styles, but they also have a higher return rate. I only use Isspro, contact me for the best pricing you will find. No I am not selling them. You want Trans, Boost and Pyro. As for other mods how about telling us how you will use your truck. Without more info I highly recommend the following mods.
Better flowing intake,
If you tow installing a larger cooler,
Coolant filter and ELC swap is a must.
Flush brake fluid,
Flush PS fluid with synthetic ATF
CCV Mod ( Crankcase Ventilation Mod , CCV Mod )
Marinco Mod
Stancor GPR
Several others but this will keep you busy for awhile.
Contact me for any help or questions and I will help you all I can.

#8 ·
I use my truck as a daily driver. So fuel economy would be great!! Also I use it to tow my 10,000 lb. tractor so I need towing too. But mainly looking for mileage and power. I want to do the diy intake but only if its advised.

#9 ·
If you're going to stay under 400-450hp I'd honestly go with the AIS. It flows better than a stock box and can still support quite a bit of power, enough for 99% of us at least. Nothing can match its filtration, and it's in a dry sealed box safe from rain and snow water.

#10 ·
Will this sound a little nicer with the turbo and add a little power?

#11 ·
I can definitely hear the turbo whistle on mine, but I have a full 4in exhaust system. The AIS is much quieter than the DIY, which is part of the reason I went with it. It shouldn't be any louder than stock, but it will flow a little better which can support more power later on. You probably won't notice any power increase over the stocker unless you're running tunes or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.