Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3L 6 speed mods? questions thanks

15K views 55 replies 11 participants last post by  THEE RAT 
#1 ·
hey guys just bought my 2nd 7.3 with a 6 speed. (some will say 5) lol

questions

wana do some gauges in the truck. what gauges do u guys think are a must with having the 6 speed?

*BOOST
*EGT
*3rd?

also im thinking about getting a Edge with attitude since i do have the manul trans that it would work well.

any input would be great thank you. :thumb:

#2 ·
I went with just boost and pyro with my ZF6. Didn't want to go with pillar mount, so did this;

Don't know anything about the Edge.

#4 ·
That looks SWEET! I Love that factory look!

#3 ·
i know the edge is hard on the autos bc it doesnt change anything.

had one on my old 7.3 with a manual trans and liked it. only had it on for about a monh then i got rid of the truck sadly.

ya i dont mind the pillar

#7 ·
idk who would tune the beast in my area.

guess i will look into never thought about it. :wink[3]:

#10 ·
yep, I am not sure of PHP's cost for updates ( could be free) but I have tony wildman's chip and it comes with lifetime free reburns. So when I add injectors I will send it in and get new tunes.

#11 ·
thats sick!

how much does something like that cost?

i also have seen people pick with a selector which tune they want to run. does something like that come with or do you have to get that on its own?

oh just like the picture above.

#13 ·
The selector comes with the tunes, you get 6 different tunes for the 295. I have these and like them
Stock
high idle
tow
economy
Daily driver
street.

#12 ·
Bill @ PHP just lowered his prices in September. $295 for the Phoenix 6 POS chip with 6 tunes on it. DP is also pretty good.

#14 ·
There are no " BEST TUNES" just do your own homework and pick a customer tuner and you will be fine. I would use fuel pressure in the third gauge hole. Congrats on the new truck. I am currently looking for a clean 7.3 for my son.

#15 ·
nice thanks guys i have been reading on his site about them.

now on to the next. 4 inch or 5 inch Exhaust :-D

i was just gonna straight pipe mine but i figured why not just get all new fresh piping.

ALSO went to pick up my trailer last night so i could move the drag car. truck towed awesome, but while i was at the shop loadng up and and toying with my buddys mustang and i grabbed a K&N and some 4 inch pipe from the shop and made my DIY intake.

#16 ·
Its your truck, but I wouldn't run a k&n filter on mine! Allows too much dirt in, and probably doesn't flow at the rate you need.. Get a 6637 filter.

#17 ·
ya i know it was just funny that we did it. i will go get one Monday i agree with ya.

so about that exhaust.. ;-)

#18 ·
Depends on where you live really, if corrosion isn't a problem then you can get a 5 inch turbo back system for like 270 shipped off ebay, but if your in the northern states where they salt the roads all the time then you might want to spend more on something that will hold up to the conditions.

#19 ·
Ive got an 00 6sp. I just went with a pyro and boost gauge in mine. I agree with the others about skipping the Edge. I have had both Tony Wildman and PHP tunes on my truck and both were great. Im currently running the PHP chip because with the FU package I can pull the chip and plug it into my laptop and pick from any 6 tunes PHP has available for my truck.
For intake I did the 6637 filter. As far as exhaust goes I just straight piped my facoty stuff and am 3.5 all the way back. I plan on going with 4in eventually.
One other thing you may consider is after the intake, exhaust, and tunes you will more than likely run into surge issue and will either be looking to do a wicked wheel or compresor housing to fix it.
Jim

#20 ·
for sure, i just made a list on one of my other threads and also put wicked wheel on my list.

im either gonna go with PHP or DP no sure which yet.

#21 ·
other post of mine

oh the mods.
well wana do it in stages

stage 1
DIY intake
Mbrp exhaust
gauges
Tune
wicked wheel (truck has a small surge towing)
in dash double din
5% tint all the way around
do oem rims black
08 towing mirrors

stage 2
lower 2/5
24 inch dually rims Black
08 front clip
08 tail gate / tail lights
08 rear bumper
hids
paint pillar between front and rear windows black
throw in some of my own little touchs but that sums it up.

im sure im forgetting some stuff.

#22 ·
to run stage 2's your gonna need a lot of supporting mods! Built trans being one of them.

#24 ·
Oh, my bad. I was thinking stages as injector types. I would love to do the same with mine as far as 08 front end I would love that!

#26 ·
Yeah best of both worlds in my opinion. 08 front end with the 7.3! There was a thread on here with an awesome pic of a white 2011 that was lowered on 24's and it was killer. Not exactly what your going for but was awesome.

#28 ·
Yeah that one is my favorite

#29 ·
ya its really sick! i would add a few things but ya def sick looking. i dont plan on getting rid of my truck any time soon! sooo a 08 front is a must.

#31 ·
you gonna do the 08 conversion by yourself?

#32 ·
Yes, i will be doing it on my own :eek:hnoes:. of course with the help of a few friends here and there. There is a good thread about a guy who did it on here. :D

#33 ·
Yeah I saw that one, red truck with a black 08 front clip, I never figured out how he got the lights to bolt in

#35 ·
Ya, he got a whole front clip so im sure he had everything to change over. ;)

#36 ·
No reason to do a 4 or 5 inch exhaust. The stock plumbing is fine up to 400 ponies or so. I know this goes against everyones belief but it is the truth. I have been telling folks for ten years now. The restriction is the factory muffler, not the size of the plumbing. Have any idea how much money they saved using the same muffler in all their trucks? They take a 3.5 exhaust and neck it down to 2.5 and then through a offset muffler that causes further restriction. Back pressure is a good thing in a gasser but not a diesel. The only time I would go larger on the plumbing is if I was going over 400 ponies or my stock system needed replacing. You can buy a new 4 inch system cheaper than the stock system.

#37 ·
oh i agree i really do! but for 290$ i can get a NEW 4 inch system so thats why i asked. i am gonna do a turbo back 4 inch. that way i will always have a full factory exhaust laying around.

#40 ·
#41 ·
WOW!

I HEART YOU!

not the style i was looking for but these could work for the right price...

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.