Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Muffler delete with no sound difference.

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  444e 
#1 · (Edited)
New to forum, my first Ford, and my first diesel. How's that for going green-lol. Anyways, my e99 and I have been getting acquainted lately. She's in pretty good shape w/90k on the clock and never as much as had a chip in it. I feel lucky to have found her.
Been reading about muffler delete and thought I would try it out. To my surprise, I can't tell much, if any difference, in the exhaust sound. I had hoped after the muf/delete and eventually a 6637, that I would be a whistling and sounding good. Apparently that won't happen so now I am hoping I will improve on the mpg. Regular cab, 4wd, that is getting 16 mpg now. Not bad for what she is.

#3 ·
After I had the new pipe on and installed, I was thinking a smart guy might have took a quick look down through the cat and seen how restrictive it is. I have read they are pretty open, then again I have read my e99 doesn't have a cat, but it does. Would a cat delete be avail, the local exhaust shops might frown on that?

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
Don't do it. It is only a matter of time before emission requirements will be mandatory in all states. People use to laugh when I would say this back in 2003, but some aren't laughing now. I just hope they were smart enough to keep the one they cut out, cuz they ain't cheap. Funny when you are young you want to hear the exhaust and turbo. When you get older you want to hear your tunes, lol!!!!

#6 ·
When I straight piped mine I did the same thing. I started with removing the muffler and no change. Took the cat out and wow HUGE difference. Turbo spools faster, makes more boost, and sounds so much better. However as hornet said make sure you keep it in your garage somewhere. I kept mine just in case I ever need it down the road. :thumb:

#7 ·
I will keep it around, got a little hoarder in me sometimes. Then again, 3-4 hundred bucks for a new resonator isn't going to keep me off the roads if the epa man comes a knocking, which is possible some day.
Still haven't found an exact bolt on replacement but there are other patching options out there. I think if I had it to do over with, I would have bought a complete system from the beginning. Sometimes going cheap isn't the cheapest way.

#8 ·
that what i was thinking for 300 tmd i can get a full system with all new piping and keep the old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.