Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

03 f250 7.3 mods

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Mathes 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, im new to the forum and was looking for a few easy mods I can do to my truck for a few extra horses and possibly a few mpgs. Currently have a superchip set for towing (can't change that since guy I bought the truck from sold the programmer), zoodad mod, foil delete, ccv mod, naps 6637 mod, and straight pipe on factory size exhaust. Also have a 4" rough country suspension lift, 35 BF Goodrich mud terrains. Any info and suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
You need to get rid of the superchip. After that go with a chip from power hungry performance or tony wildman and you'll get your jump in HP. if you want more than that, then it's time for injectors/turbo upgrades. However there are other mods you should do first.

#3 ·
I definitely want to get rid of the superchip, I was thinking about a DP tuner. Who has the best tunes for the basics, like economy, towing and performance? Also looking for a set of gauges and a good intercooler.

#5 ·
I second the power hungry tunes. That's what I run in my truck on a ts 6 position and i love it! I'm able to have my fuel sipper and daily driver tunes as well as my tow tune and performance tunes

#6 ·
Awesome, I'll definitely look into the php. Any other suggestions?

#7 ·
It all depends on where you want to go with the truck. Anymore power than just what a chip provides and you're getting into the expensive end of the spectrum. Also keep in mind that your engine has PMR's (powered metal rods), and they don't like the 500+HP range.

#8 ·
As far as power goes, the chip should be plenty for me. Just wondering if there was anything else to kinda help it out a little. Not only do I want the power, but want quality and something that will last.

#9 ·
With the PMR's you should be safe at 400hp forged rods your good up to 500hp. The other thing is the truck automatic or standard? If it is auto your gonna want to take it easy with pushing more ponies. Its not a matter if the auto will blow but a matter of WHEN it will! But if it is manual your good to go no worries pushing more power.

#10 ·
Its an auto. I don't plan on running the performance program all the time, but it would be nice to play with every now and then. Shift kits? Or a rebuild? Oh btw, I have 280k miles and no problems.

#11 ·
Well the benifit of the custom chips like PHP they do program your tranny for the power but you still got to be carful with them. Well with that many miles on it im sure the tranny has been rebuilt once if not id seriously look into it. Mine has 262k on it and still good it was remaned about 53k ago so im good for now but want to beef it up some for my tuner. Id ask around about the shift kits,valve body covers and what works well to strengthen it. The guys on here will hook you up good with what you need.

#12 ·
Hmm, I honestly don't remember if its been rebuilt or not. I'll talk to the prev owner and find out for sure. If it has I'll call and get a chip from php and see about beefin her up too. Lol. I love this site, I've gotten a lot of helpful stuff from it.

#15 ·
Well if money isnt the issue most upgrade to the 38r turbo but if your on a tighter budget the Wicked Wheel is a good route to go. But you really wont see major hp gain with a new turbo like the 38r till you put Stage 1 or 2 injectors in it.

#16 ·
Quick question: do I really need to get a pyrometer soon, or is it really just recommended for towing? About the only towing I do is my camper to the lake about 30 miles up the road and occasionally the 4wheeler to the deer lease. (Its a little nerve racking loading a lifted 4wheeler in the back of a lifted truck lol)

#17 ·
With a chip it is highly recomended that you have one especially if your towing. How hilly is the 30miles? if it is fairly flat i wouldnt worry about it to much but if there are a few good hills it is in your best interest to have the EGT gauge.

#18 ·
Its flat. But I'll definitely keep that in mind. Any other suggestions? Im kinda new to the diesel thing, and id like my truck to last.

#20 ·
I had just a the stock strait pipe on mine as well, (hated the noise) but just recently put a 4inch system on and really noticed a difference in the low end. I had an 01 with chip,trans command, ehuast & intake, aftmarket wastegate and gauges, loved loved loved that truck but it wasn't a crew cab.. anyway i pulled a toyhauler and loaded its about 14-15k, and I got 15-16 mpgs depending on where the location was to and how hilly, but unloaded with a bed cover i got 19-20. and it was a blast to drive, fast enough to piss the kids off with honda's and I loved doing that!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.