Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ball bearing turbo inlet tube on stock turbo??

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jesilvas 
#1 ·
I know once the stock turbo has performance mods done to it it has flutter or surge and I've read thats due to too much of a concentration of air on the wheel. Would simply buying and installing the inlet tube that comes with the garret bb turbo for our trucks rectify this problem or is it just the way our turbos are and I should just replace it or put a wicked wheel on? Mine surges mostly at freeway speeds when I am passing.

#6 ·
$100 wicked wheel cured my surge. Compared to the $400+ bones for the housing (which has varying quality issues from what I have read), taking the chance with the wicked wheel is worth it, IMO.

Once you spend $400+ on a turbo you think may be going out, you may be further ahead to get a new stock turbo, Van turbo or 38R . . .

#7 ·
i ran the ww i still had surge then i got a ats housing no more surge the miles that you have on your turbo makes no differens for the housing i think the ww is best used for a paper wt the ww can put the shaft out of balance its up to you with a ww on old turbo mean that you well buy new turbo sooner i have seen happen many time over the years

#8 ·
156k on a turbo? Try 316k. I don't see why it would go out.
A WW MIGHT fix it and an ATS usually does fix it.
Never heard that putting a WW will but the shaft out of balance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.