Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Maybe I'm just crazy

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  late_99_PSD 
#1 ·
Alright, got an 01 Excursion with a 7.3. Its got a Banks big hoss bundle on it. Bigger IC, Compressor Wheel, Down pipe, 4" Exhaust (with a HUGE muffler btw), big head wastegate, trans command, big hoss chip, and a six gun tuner. I know its quite a bit and the truck gets up and goes. However, I would LOVE to have some more turbo whistle, I know making it sound like a 6.0 is well, almost impossible.

I was looking to get a AFE stage 1 intake. I already did the foil delete and yea, that really didn't do much. I was also thinking of an ATS housing. Anybody have any thoughts? I also thought of doing a CFM manifold with a heater delete plug but that would be later down the road.

So I guess my question is would the intake be enough? (Kinda silly the kit doesn't come with one) Or should I get the housing too?

Also, one more side note. Even with all the banks stuff I have on now this thing doesn't blow ANY black smoke. None. Nada. Zip. What the hell?! I know black smoke isn't good but come on. Gotta have some once in a while.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks

#2 ·
Well take trans command, big boss module and six gun tuner off, replace with ts chip with good tunes ie beans, swamps, gearhead, tyrant and you'll gave a better setup. As for sound it'll never sound like a 6.0 because the 6.0 has a vgt

#3 ·
First, forget about smoke, it's just wasted fuel. :banghead:

Next... IMHO: I'd loose the banks modules...sell 'em and buy a custom chip. It will be better on your engine, transmission, and more power. :nod:

Also, gauges. :eek:hnoes:

Lastly, a wicked wheel and a DIY 6637 will open up the intake more than enough, and the WW is a good deal louder. (More whistle) You can do the foil delete as well.

Good luck.

#4 ·
banks=over priced crap, get a php phoenix chip($295) and a diy intake, ditch the muffler and you'll get plenty of noise. :)

#6 ·
thanks everybody for the replies!

I agree that the Banks stuff should probably be taken off. I would like to keep the six gun tho but just for the gauges, exhaust and boost.

I actually just did the DIY intake (man that filter is massive) like an hour ago. Took out the rear section of my airbox so it would fit and got a 3" PVC coupler and I BARELY can tell a difference. So what the heck is going on?! I had a buddy drive it while I stood outside and the exhaust sound just doesn't sound right. Almost like something is restricting it.

I bought the truck with all the Banks stuff done to it so it shall be interesting taking it all out.

As far as the whole black smoke goes, I don't need clouds and clouds of it but I thought it should just have some.

#10 ·
I looked a little for the plug but it was late at night and the motor was pretty hot so I didn't mess too much with it.

I've done quite a bit of research on chips and such. I was thinking of going for a PHP Phoenix chip. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

I think I will also order a WW

Stupid question. All the chips see to only be performance for the motor, not the trans so could I leave the Banks trans command on or just take it out?

I gotta say, I thought Banks stuff would have been better but I guess not

#15 ·
Left is factory, Right is a WW
Lol, I know the difference...I installed mine.

His original description says he had a "Banks Wheel" Banks Wheel = Wicked Wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.