Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Zoodad mod?

47K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Vhfireman 
#1 ·
What is the zoodad mod? And what exactly dose it do? ive heard a little about it but it. Is it worth the effort?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
is where u cut a hole in the grill that allows air to flow strait to the intake.....kinda like a ram air...personally i dont see it helping a lot, but more air always means more power, so i couldnt see it hurting....but i cant tell ya either way, never done it to my truck...thinkin about it, but dont want to have to take my ranch hand off....lol

#3 ·
#5 ·
Ya its one of those theory things. I thought though if you got a heat extractor hood, you could put one on both sides to get lots of air flow over the motor....... in theory..........

#6 ·
I know this thread is old, However i just wanted to share my experience with the zoodad mod I did on my 06 f350 6.0. I liked the mod at first seemed to have a little more power/ higher mpg on the highway seemed worth it. fast forward a few months and it is December and it is starting to snow as i live in Atlantic Canada. I plowed snow on the weekends for extra money for a company in town so one night i got called in and there was 18-24" of snow down, drifted in spots up to probably 36" or so and i love to be the first one to bust through a deep drift. Anyway it was about a 40min drive to where i plowed the snow and the truck seemed to be acting weird by the time i got there, but i didn't think anything of it and just went to work. after i was done i started driving it home and it was still acting the same and getting worse by the time i got back home i had a noticeable miss in the engine and NO power. anyway i discovered that my air filter was plugged solid with snow, i took the filter into the house to let all the snow melt out of the filter and it took 2 days for it to completely dry out. So i put the filter back on the truck and it would barely start and had the bad miss in the engine also, i removed the valve cover on the drivers side as the knock i could hear sounded like it was coming from that side, i found a broken intake rocker arm on #6 cyl and a missing exhaust valve on #4cyl, near as the engine shop could figure out was that the plugged air filter created such a vacuum under WOT that it held the valve closed and the rocker arm failed trying to force the valve open and the piece of the rocker arm that broke off managed to get between the valve bridge and the valve on #4 cyl which forced the valve further open which hit the piston caused the valve to break. Still cant prove it was the mod that caused my valve to drop but i can't not prove it either. so it is just something to think about if you live somewhere that gets lots of snow and your thinking about doing this mod not trying to talk you out of it cause i like the mod but i am going to close it back up for the winter now LOL!

#7 ·
WOW! That is some story...

And I guess I can see where, if you're "grille deep" in snow, that the snorkel could inhale snow that when it was located behind the header panel, it couldn't. But I'm not sure I can wrap-my-head-around the concept that the engine makes a vacuum So Strong as to keep the valve So Stuck closed, that it breaks the rocker. I donno 'bout that one ;)

#8 ·
:thumb::thumb:Like i said i couldn't prove it was the mod, but i couldn't prove it wasn't the mod either. i had just never seen anyone have a post about the filter clogging up in the snow before so i just wanted to post about what happened to me when i drove in the deep snow so maybe one of my northern friends that live in snowy areas are thinking about doing the mod are aware of the possibility of the filter clogging up and possibly causing engine damage that's all :thumb: just helping to add info on the forms for everyone

#12 ·
Hey now... the Zoodad mod was one of those cool "free mods" that a lot of us did back in the day because we "thought" it actually made a noticeable difference.

#11 ·
I drilled a bunch of holes in my header panel for Zoodad mod rather than cutting out a big piece and using a screen. One time a few years ago I was driving up to the ski slope and it was snowing heavily, very wet slushy snow. By the time I was almost back home my filter minder set the indicator on the dash, so I pulled over and found a bunch of snow caked on the area where I drilled holes and some had gotten sucked into the snorkel of the air filter and stuck on the filter itself. I cleaned off the snow from the Zoodad mod and cleaned the snow off of the front of the filter and had now issues what so ever. The snow did not get into the filter much at all except the very front of it, had I ignored the filter minder than I am sure I would have sucked snow further into the filter, but still not enough to damage anything with the motor.

Reactions: ZMANN
#16 ·
I know that additional 25HP of pulling power I felt as SOON as I did that mod was no way a Placebo affect.

ITS REAL

You non believers go ahead and post up your fake results of no increased power if it makes you feel like Real Girly Men.

I'm looking away from here on.... ... .... .... ;..... ... . .. .

Don't even start in on the Santa Claus thing............not today

#17 ·
Santa ain't real!

:look:

:D

#18 ·
who made you a expert on the matter

Not my fault your bypassed

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#22 ·
I recently got back from a 2100 mile road trip to Sandpoint Idaho. The picture is about 4 hours away from our destination (Sandpoint Idaho). During the trip there, driving around in Sandpoint, and on the way back I had no issues with my intake after the Zoodad mod. We left a few days early after it dumped 18inches in one day and had a few more days of even more snow fall. It was my first time with Zoodad mod too. Buddy cut it out after we finished the WW2 install.

I still would like to add a screen though mostly because of rocks and debris (lots of orchards where I live currently). I can't say I noticed anything to be honest. Ive taken the trip almost 99.9% same route, even exact pump at same gas stations lol 6 times now. little over 14k miles in just those trips according to fuel logs.

Attachments

#24 ·
I’ve had my filter plugged with snow even without this Zoodad mod. When I’m out plowing very light dusty snow that likes to puff up over my plow, AND the temperature is below zero my filterminder will give me the alert. I head to my heated garage, pull the filter and swap it out. Generally there is a couple inches of ice on the filter, and the snorkel is full of ice.

I let the old one thaw and dry, and hope one change per snowfall is enough... I can’t imagine how quickly I’d plug up with this mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.