Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Upgrades

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dereku 
#1 ·
Im looking into putting a 38r turbo, Stage 1 injectors, BTS valve body, better transmission oil filter and a bigger trans pan.

What are the power increases of 38r and stage one's? And will a BTS valve body be sufficant to hold the transmission together with new turbo and injectors? What RWHP will I be seeing with the 38r turbo, stage ones, and my TW tunes? (tunes are 1-stock 2-economy 3-daily 4-tow 5-street 6-extreme)

#2 ·
It will depend on the actual specs of the "stage 1" injectors that you get. Some put out more than others. But from what I researched that kind of setup should put you into the low to mid 300hp range. The BTS valve body will definitely help your tranny. Though it's not an exact thing to say that your tranny WILL hold up. Maintenance and how the tranny has been treated both with and without injectors, will contribute to its life expectancy greatly. Though it'll probably be fine. Things usually start getting bad after a truck goes over 450 rwhp.

Also, make sure to get the chip reburned for your upgrades. Should be free and expect about a 2 week turn around on it.

This is where my research lead me when I had to replace 2 stock injectors. So I won't say I'm completely correct with the info. But there are some very, very knowledgeable people here.

Full Force Diesel has a good package deal on what you're looking to do. Give them a call.

#3 ·
Stage 1's 160-180 will get you to 375+- HP..

I would get the BTS VB and our 6.0 tq converter as the stocker will not like the HP added.
Adding a 6.0 trans cooler would be advised.
your tunes will need reburned with stage 1's as your split shot tunes will not work with single shots.
we can get you all..PM if I can help.

Cary

#6 ·
Im not looking to make my truck a drag truck. I just want it to be a not average truck. I'm gonna need more power to as well for pulling my 5th wheel. Also want to be able to outrun all the ricers in my area, just because they think they're hot chit with the coffee can exhaust, spoilers, etc:nana:... But outrunning ricers is definitely not a priority.

#8 ·
I have the 38r and stage 1s I just put down 378hp, 786 tq. I had the valve bidy to start with, but gernaded my tranny about 2 weeks later. Its still in my trans but I rebuilt mine to handle more. Its a good all around set up, but I got the taste of the horsepower game and now I want bigger injectors
B

#10 ·
I did a stallion torque converter, trango shift kits, added extra clutchs of a few of the gears modified the pump inside. Did a bts valve body and my buddy did some other modifcations. I used all good quailty parts and only spent about 2k to build mine solid. The only thing I didn't do was the input and output shafts. I didn't have that kind of money. Also with the stg1s and 38r, its a good setup to tow with doesn't get to hot on steep incline. I also just switched to tonys tunes and like my set up even more

#11 ·
Stage ones are nice but you really wont need the 38R. You can get away with something like a van turbo, or just eliminate the wastegate and EBPV on the stocker and you will be fine.

BTW the max PSI on a 38r is 40psi and with proper tuning on stage 1s you can get close to that. but most likely max around 35

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.