Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

SCT X3 on 7.3?

10K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  bruce51d 
#1 ·
Ok here's the deal...my step dad has a 2005 6.0 and when he bought the truck he had a sct x3 put in. He soon got tired of it and took it off his truck. I decided to put it on my e99 7.3 6speed and it seems to do fine. I have gauges and all of the readings check out fine. Right now I am saving up to buy a tw chip for my truck and my question is has anybody heard any problems with running the x3 on a 7.3 and how much performance differences am I looking at between the x3 and tw?

#2 ·
I didnt know that they were compatible! Guess im wrong!

#4 ·
X3 works great on the 7.3. But like Raul said the advantage is Shift on the fly with the chip

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Raul how much is it to put a tw tune on the x3? I was not sure if it would be worth it to put it on there while I am waiting to get the tw chip? Also, what would be the highest hp tune I could put with stock injectors? Is the Street tune a waste of money?

#6 ·
Fellow diesel addict in tn

Hey i was reading your thread and saw that you live in tn. I just put a xcal3 on my cousins 6.0 today and he loves it. I was thinking about using one of the unlocks and try it on my 02.
Would love to hear more about how well it works bc he is already wanting to upgrade to the iTSX. Do you live near Chattanooga?

#7 ·
Hey diesel slacker! I actually live near Bristol TN but so far the X3 has worked great. I just leave it on the lowest setting (I think its called Street). Idk if your truck is a 6 speed like mine but for the first couple of days I thought it made the truck shift a little rougher but it just takes a little while to get used to it and now I think that it makes the truck shift smoother. It is the only chip I have ever run on the truck so I cant really compare it to anything else but I have had it in there for about 3 weeks now and I really like it and have not had any problems. If I have any problems I will keep you posted. I hope this helps! :D

#8 ·
sct makes a switch chip i have it and love it there is a local guy in my town that tunes sct so dont have to send it off if i do any mods

#10 ·
The sct is also a custom tuned chip it has 4 spots for custom tunes one stock and 2 security settings but from what I understand its more controlable over the trucks pcm thank the other two because it was made first for Ford

#12 ·
the chip runs 300 and comes with 4 tunes and check scts site and they should tell you where the local dealers arround you are

#17 ·
I prefer the 6 position chips, better than plugging in the tuner.....downloading it....starting....then go, I like to be able to let off throttle, spin a knob, and hammer down bubba!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.