Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which intake is better?

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  7.3'00 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at some new intakes. Looking at AFE and a few others, done some research.

Here's what im debating on or maybe you guys can fill me in on some information about these.

AFE POWER PRO DRY FILTER COLD AIR INTAKE KIT STAGE 1

AFE Stage 1 Pro Guard 7 Intake 75-10061-1

AFE Stage 2 Pro Guard 7 Intake

Tymar Open Element Filter

Wanting something that sounds great and performs great

Update: 2003 ford f250 7.3

#6 ·
Yea i read there pretty good.
Guess the main question also would be is a dry or oiled filter better?

and how is the air restriction on it compared to others and also the filtration?

Filtration and restriction is important to me cause i work on a farm and driving on dirt roads a lot so as you can see my delima i need something that will be good for that.

#7 ·
diy filter is great for filtering as for oiled filters you HAVE to keep it oiled if it gets dry its not filtering just a word of caution =]

#10 ·
whats the big advantage by using a DIY besides the fact its like a third of the cost.

To me it doesn't seem like you would get a decent filter besides ordering a name brand one.

#11 ·
say if iw as going to use the DIY. It says to use the 6637 filter but if i dont have great access to one of those filters, are there any others that will be al right to use?

#12 ·
You can use a sponge if you want.... But the Tymar/6637 filter is very effective, hold a TON of dirt/dust, and is proven by MANY powerstrokers. :nod:

Oil filters dry out, and when they do they let dirt/dust by. If you want to pay for a name, by all means, do it. But I'm not convinced (other than looks) that they are any better. 6637 is efficient, and effective. Good enough for me. :thumb:

Hell, I just ordered 2 of them for $60. :rofl:

#13 · (Edited)
where at did you get 2 for $60? the napa here is wanting $61.99 for 1

wait, are these paper filters?

i always thought that a cloth or washable filter was better?
But i know you guys are saying the oiled filters arent that great but isnt there a dry cloth filter worth while than the napa paper filter?

#16 ·
expensive little toy but looks very nice lol

so wait, with that oil filter and using synthetic oil you can pull out 10k on one oil change?

yea i found that same air filter at fleet filter for same price, i wish i could find one in town instead of buying the one at napa for 60!

#22 ·
oh yea ive been looking at that sticky all day ha.

Wow i gota figure out how to do that with my oil. I guess if you think about it, it can save you in the long run eh

#25 ·
DIY is the only way to go....no sense in wasting all that money for an AFE for very similar power gains....

#26 ·
I went ahead and ordered 2 of those filters for like $50 and some change.

they should be here Wednesday along with my muffler delete pipe from alligator performance=D

#27 ·
I just got my new filter for the DIY intake. does anyonw know where the right up is for this? ive been looking all night, why im asking is cause of those 2 sensors from the old intake box.

I have no idea what to do with them now?

#29 ·
so do i really not need those sensors?

And also why do i have to leave my battery undone for atleast an hour, not understanding that?

#31 ·
cool. well i got the filter on and you can really here the difference in the air suction. Im very much impressed with it. Now to get my muffler delete pipe on=)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.