Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need some performance help from someone smarter then myself

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  HaterMotivater 
#1 ·
Hi guys I'm new to power stokes i had a cummins before this (good way to start off a post) lol but ive been building this truck for the past few months and I'm finally driving it around and now its time to do some upgrading ill fill you in on what i have

99 early model 7.3 4x4 has fully built HD trans with shift kit mag tech hi-cap pan bigger trans cooler billet multi disc converter 4 inch turbo back k&N intake and a diablo sport 3 tuner

I just went through the truck and replaced all the leaking seals so my motor has no leaks and it has the steel braided lines for the hpop i was told(i don't know much about that) but i keep getting a raspy noise from my turbo that's doesn't sound like it belongs so I'm preparing myself for a turbo upgrade here real soon and I'm not sure what to do... a buddy of mine has a stock turbo off an 02 with 10k miles he wants 500$ i was wondering if that would fit and if its worth the money and also any ideas on what i should upgrade to because truthfully im the kind of person who upgrades when thing break in the end i want a strong DD/pull truck every once and a while i like joining in the local tug a wars. id like to do injectors soon also i just haven't gotten any good guidance as of what to do. any help would be appreciated thank you!

#2 ·
the noise your hearing from your turbo is more then likely turbo surge which is completely normal for a chipped 7.3 its not a good thing but it is normal. there are several ball bearing aftermarket turbos out there to choose from ranging from 1300-3000 depending on what hp levels you want. good thing is you have a early 99 so you have forged rods. so you good to around 500-550 hp to the wheels. if your wanting to do injectors a new hpop will be needed to keep up with the oil demand id go with a stealth pump. from what iv read they seem to have the best results that will also be my next upgrade. also if your wanted to do injectors you will have to ditch the boxed tuner and get a custom tune. php dp and there are some others that iv herd good things from all of them. i have a php and love it. also look into a fuel regulated return kit. that will keep good fuel flow to all eight injectors and keep the air out of them. it does start to get pricy for it all around 6 or 7 grand for it all but the way i see it is if your gonna do a turbo or injectors you might as weel do all the other supporting mods to get the full benefits. and im sure many others while chim in and give you their experiences

#3 ·
also back under the 7.3 performance parts you will see a sticky note at the top for power levels 300-500 read all of that. it will give you in much greater detail what you will need to reach those power levels

#5 ·
When i bought the truck i was told it was a late model 99 so that's what i wrote i later found out that it is an early model i just never went back and changed it. And just out of curiosity what is the difference in motors from the same year.

#7 ·
so does that make them a better motor or worse? i also read something about the valves being different?

#8 ·
I also read S&B have a good intake for these model years what is the big difference between them and a K&N?

#9 ·
#11 ·
But would that be what im looking for in the 400hp build im after? and im looking at DP tuners but whats the difference between the chip and the SMARTchip they have other then price?

#12 ·
Yeah it will support 400 horse, set of 160's, a d66, and the t500 should get you near 400. The srp1 is a better pump but it is more expensive. Idk the difference between the chips I don't run dp tuner tunes anymore

#13 ·
What else is as good to run as a DP? everyone i seem to talk to thinks they are the best thing even invented! i found a set of 160s single shot for 1650$ and the D66 is on national back order and no one can get one anyware at least thats what i was told yesterday as i made some calls to local diesel performance shops. I had a guy try to sell me a sel of stage 1 60horse injectors for 3000$ yesterday plus cores.... i about had a heart attack! and thats about what i was looking for is 400-450hp who makes the srp1 and whats the difference between that one and the t500?

#14 ·
If the person is tryin to sell you some 60 horse injectors then they don't know what they are talkin about, stage 1 are only 1000, stage 2 160/100's are 1650. Stealth makes the srp1 and it will outflow the t-500 by a mile. As for tunes, its all about beans tunes and i've ran dp

#16 ·
well i appreciate all the help im going to do some more research before i go and drop 5k on upgrades.. Do you guys think this much money is worth it on a truck with 350k miles? I was told by the kid i bought this truck from the motor was rebuilt but there is no telling if the kid was full of it. Dont get me wrong the truck runs like a champ but thats alot of HP and $$ for an old motor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.