Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stock turbo? gauge questions

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  irishluck 
#1 ·
So i was wondering if the turbo set up on my 03 f250 7.3 came stock as a garret turbo?

I was told that my turbo was an after market on the truck. Also ive been hearing talking about this waste gate thing? not sure much of what it is except i think its some pressure release valve for the turbo, and was told its a good idea to upgrade that. Any advice on that or where to get an upgraded one would be great!

Im looking for some new gauges for my truck too. Like a boost, transtemp and w.e gauges i need for it. Want to know what i should spend on some gauges cause i found some from sunpro for like $30 a gauge. Are they decent or is that to cheap?

#2 ·
My '01 has a Garrett turbo that, as far as I know, came stock. There are waste gates on these. You're right, they are for releasing excess boost pressure. I, personally, don't know about what it would take to upgrade the WG. Others may come along to help there.

I bought Autometer gauges for my truck. EGT, Boost and Trans temp. I tow a 12K 5th wheel and they've helped a lot. There are Autometer, Isspro, Sunpro to name some. Others may also add to that list also.

#3 ·
Hopefully someone will help me with that waste gate cause id deff like to upgrade that.
Isnt the EGT for the exhaust temp? if so why is that in fact so important?

I am actively looking for gauges but not gauges for $400. I personally think that's an outrages price

#6 ·
EGT is the exhaust gas temp. It's important because the pistons will "melt" at ~1250* F. Your EGT's can get well over that. I'm not sure how high EGT's will get on a stock truck, but a tuned truck can get over 1600* EGT.
if you dont mind me asking but you said the pistons will melt at 1250* but tuned trucks can get well over 1600*. so what do people do about that since they will melt at 1250? after market pistons?

#7 ·
The motor is still getting fresh, cool air to keep temps down. And that's really just air temp. It's takes some time for that heat to actually heat the piston to that temperature. They'll handle 1600* for a few seconds, but it's not really good for the motor. You wouldn't really want to run the motor over 1200* for more than a couple of seconds. I'm sure someone has a better idea of how long you could hold 1300, 1400... without having problems.

#8 ·
well i dont think ill be running that hot anytime soon:nod:

If anyone else has any information on what gauges to get or input on what you like that be great!

And about this blow off valve/waste gate ordeal. Information would be great on that too!

Thanks

#10 ·
well then i guess ill be looking for a blow off valve instead. Cause i know those are needed cause the boost can wear down your turbo and bearing. And it takes longer for the turbo to spin since all that pressure gets blocked in when the throttle closes.

do i have to buy a new pipe to use one of these or i guess do i just "rig" one on?

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
you dont like it then dont come to my thread. this is my research boss=D
Thats why im here in the forum for questions, ive done research and now im here for questions. never owned a diesel so id rather come in here to get anwsers.

#13 · (Edited)
Oh boy.

Sir you need to do a little research on diesels before looking to do any upgrades.

These trucks came stock with a garrett turbo, but garrett does make an aftermarket upgrade, a GT38R. Post up a pic and we may be able to tell you if yours is stock.

I wouldn't worry too much about your wastegate now. Contrary to what was posted eariler, they do not release excess boost pressure. They simply re-direct exhaust around the turbo so 1) You can have a smaller exhaust housing for quicker spool-up 2) the turbine shaft dosen't overspeed as a result of the smaller exhaust housing and 3) to keep the EGT's down that would normally get hot as a result of the smaller housing. You definatly don't need a BOV.

As far as gauges sunpro's are JUNK!!!!!!!!! Glowshifts are ok, but I've heard a few people have issues with them, about the same with autometers, though I'd buy an autometer gauge way before I'd buy a Glowshift. Isspro's are nice :thumb:

#15 ·
the reason why i asked about the turbo was cause when i bought it they said it wasnt the stock one and so did a few other people, idk if its stock or not.

And also when a had someone look at it they couldnt even find the wastegate on it at all.

I have read alor on the gauges, just wanted some opinions from people who have tried them. the ISSpro's do look very nice and can see that by the price also=/ is true that you get what ya pay for

#17 ·
hmm ill get a picture of that up so maybe you guys can help me figure out if it is or isn't stock.

Where would the waste gate be located?

#18 ·
Wastegate is the thing on the right with a vacuum hose that runs to it.

I should ask why you even own a diesel if you know NOTHING about them... The stock turbo will hold over 30 pounds of boost... No need to upgrade anything on it until you get a chip, and injectors and stuff.

#19 ·
I should ask why you even own a diesel if you know NOTHING about them... The stock turbo will hold over 30 pounds of boost... No need to upgrade anything on it until you get a chip, and injectors and stuff.
That's a little testy, isn't it? I didn't know a bunch about diesels when I bought mine, but I've learned quite a bit after coming here.

The OP is asking questions so he can learn....an atmosphere we encourage here at the ORG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.