Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Question about tuner for high mileage motor

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  countryguy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought an '02 F250 with 88k on the truck, but the motor was blown and replaced with a motor that has 182,000 on it. Id like to install a tuner (i was thinking about a PHP Phoenix) but im a little concerned about putting that tuner on a motor with that many miles. The truck has an ATS dual 4" exhaust and I already added the 6637 intake. Any advice on if im creating a recipe for disaster, or what tunes to put on the phoenix tuner? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thanks
Mike

#3 ·
You call that high mileage? LOL
Welcome to the world of real motors my friend..
enjoy bills tunes, they will blow your mind.

#4 ·
ahh if your scared then im realy scared lol i just clocked 292k yesterday and for my trucks 300k b day its geting a php phoenix chip to ! supposed to be good tunes let us know how you like them!

if you treat these motors right they will surprise ya!
do you have gauges yet? might be a good investment

#5 ·
Just do the supporting mods first. People that add 100 hp to a stock powertrain that wasn't designed to handle it, and when something fails they blame the chip, tuner programmer etc...... If you do things right you should have the opposite out come = longer component life. I know for a fact, that my truck works less to do the same job that it did in stock, this has to equate to longer life. But as I said you need to do things the right way, and then drive it correctly when you do have the extra hp. Nothing wrong with PHP, Bill is a good guy and seems to be the Flavor of the Month right now. He has been doing this a long time behind the scenes so it is about time, lol!!! Last month it was TW, and going way back to when I did mine it was DP. I still haven't driven a tune from anyone that would make me switch with Jody's tunes. But everyone has their favorite flavor, usually the one they spent the most $$$ on. Just stay away from the generic crap.

#6 ·
My truck had 189,000 on it when I bought it, all stock, still original tranny. It now has a PHP F.U., and I could never go back, I love it tows great, and runs GREAT :bump:. Just install guages and keep an eye on everything.

#8 ·
Hell I have 173k on my dodge with a gas motor! Just added headers,chip, and intake to it about 8k miles ago still runs like a dream, all about how you take care of her! Awesome forum btw! Looking to by a powerstroke soon, not trying to steal your thread also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.