Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DP Tuner

17K views 147 replies 37 participants last post by  chvyrkr 
#1 ·
I just installed my Dp tuner F6 and all I can say is WOW!!! It is defiantly money well spent. Replaced my Edge Evo with it and it is a night and day difference. The guys a DP get a big hats off from me. :woot::woot::woot:

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
:dunno: whats that mean?

#3 ·
Yeah I noticed that yesterday when I tried out the 120 HP race setting. My EGTs got to about 1100. In every other position everything is running lower than before. My tranny temp is running about 30 degrees cooler now though.

#6 ·
You can't expect an electronic tuner to NOT raise your EGT's :doh:. That's to be expected, and for the driver to pay attention to

If it makes you feel any better, I hit 1650* today getting on the highway at WOT :woot:

#8 ·
Yeah right Nick, we all know the block turns to liquid at 1251 degrees, don't you know anything? :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :thumb:

#7 ·
I have been running Jody's tunes since 2003 and haven't found another tune I would trade for his. He just isn't the flavor of the month right now. It was DP, then Tony, today PHP is a popular choice along with all the others that have come on the scene. Not to mean Bill at PHP is new to tuning, that would be a stupid comment , even for me to make.
I have never had any issues with temps and Jody's tunes. If you do, better call him and not talk about it on a forum. I have used several tow tunes from other tuners and DP is by far the very best. I have never had to back out of the skinny pedal due to high EGT's. 1100 degrees is no problem, 1250 is no problem, let it run all day, no issues. Be careful about what you read on the WWW . Many times people claim what they use is " the best " tuner. Trust me, if you never remember anything else that I say, remember this.
There is no " BEST " tuner, intake, exhaust, steering wheel cover or whatever else you want to throw in there. Yes some are better than others, but " best " is nothing but opinons, and I have no time for them.

Later...................................

#10 · (Edited)
I love my DP Tuner. I have never had a single problem with it and I have no desire to try anything else. They are extremely friendly people with great customer service. I completely agree with NCHornet

#21 ·
same here , I have never had asingle problem with my F5. What is the difference between the F5 and the F6. I have stock, 1200 rpm fast idle,60,80 tow,120 race and 140 aggressive.:icon_ford:

#13 ·
You really come off as a TROLL and that isn't something that is welcomed around here. Plenty other forums where it is. Why don't you fill out your signature too, if you need help I am sure Bean's can help you out. If not call Dianne, I know she will help you. :hehe: :hehe:

#11 · (Edited)
Maybe you never looked back because there wasn't any noticeable difference. But I wouldn't know I've never needed to try anything else.

#12 ·
Alright. If ever I'm ever disappointed with DP I may try some new ones. But I'm not trying to make a race truck here just enjoying the extra sounk

#16 ·
Never had any problems with DP tunes mine did smoke alot till I put a AFE Big Boost filter on now it takes alot to get it to smoke. Havn't tried the other tuners either maybe someday. I like the way the truck runs so why change. Only thing I had a problem with was the way some of the shift points were a quick email and all was fixed.

#23 ·
Just to show everyone, check out my buddy's "miles to empty" reading - just shortly after filling up. This was when he was taking a road trip up to Chicago. :nod:

He's got a 38 gallon tank, and he was using the 60 Economy setting on the interstate. His Excursion also has an aFe Stage 2 intake and 4" MBRP exhaust.

#29 ·
Haha, guys guys... I'm not trying to start a fight over this. Listen, ya'll believe what you want. I just wanted to share the "gains" my friend got when he installed the DP Tuner chip.

But Bruce, if you're serious... how would you like for me to prove it to you? I'll take your truck off your hands for you. :hehe:

#37 ·
Same here, hence the reason I bought one, as did my brother. Neither one of us has had single issue except for increased fuel economy and more power. Oh wait, those aren't problems...

#38 ·
I received my DP-Tuner just last week. WOW!! What a blast! My 2002 is BONE stock except for this new F5 Tuner.

I had problems installing it (spent numerous hours over a few days) and couldn't get my truck to start with the chip installed. Eventually I figured out the truck wouldn't start with my HID headlights AND the chip installed. It worked fine with just the chip or just the headlights.......well I ditched the headlights and went back to stock but would eventually like to figure this one out!

Secondly, can't believe how much extra power the 80 Econ makes! This thing smokes like a freight train and still gets way better gas mileage. Very fun to drive. Is it really safe to drive on this mode all the time?

Third, I have no gauges, sticking to 80 econo and 60HP tow is it important to get an EGT gauge? I don't really dare play with 120HP race much. It was crazy crazy powerful the one time I dared!

I only have GREAT things to say about Jody and Diane and will never look anywhere else for custom tuning. I already have friends that placed an order after taking a ride in my truck! Thank you so much for a quality product and awesome customer service. (Jody called me in person to troubleshoot chip install issues)

#41 ·
I had problems installing it (spent numerous hours over a few days) and couldn't get my truck to start with the chip installed. Eventually I figured out the truck wouldn't start with my HID headlights AND the chip installed. It worked fine with just the chip or just the headlights.......well I ditched the headlights and went back to stock but would eventually like to figure this one out!
Unfortunately, there's really nothing for YOU to figure out. I'm sure everybody looks forward to the day Jody finally fixes their poorly shielded hardware. DP is the only tuner who's shielding ineffectiveness allows aftermarket items, like HID ballasts, to interfere with how your engine runs.

You can be the greatest Software guy around, but if your Hardware sucks, what good does it do you?????

#39 ·
I received my DP-Tuner just last week. WOW!! What a blast! My 2002 is BONE stock except for this new F5 Tuner.

Secondly, can't believe how much extra power the 80 Econ makes! This thing smokes like a freight train and still gets way better gas mileage. Very fun to drive. Is it really safe to drive on this mode all the time?

I haven't taken mine out of 80E in months, no problems as of yet, I just use stock to start when its really cold.

Third, I have no gauges, sticking to 80 econo and 60HP tow is it important to get an EGT gauge? I don't really dare play with 120HP race much. It was crazy crazy powerful the one time I dared!

Yes an EGT gauge as well as a trans temp gauge are very very important, especially if you decide to get "brave" or if you are towing.

I only have GREAT things to say about Jody and Diane and will never look anywhere else for custom tuning. I already have friends that placed an order after taking a ride in my truck! Thank you so much for a quality product and awesome customer service. (Jody called me in person to troubleshoot chip install issues)

#40 ·
Personally I love my dp I have found the tunes a little smokey but I also tend to lug my truck a bit being a six speed and my hids do tend to make my truck "burp" every once in awhile I would like to figure out that issue but I won't ever switch tunes

#45 ·
I haven't taken mine out of 80E in months, no problems as of yet, I just use stock to start when its really cold.

Yes an EGT gauge as well as a trans temp gauge are very very important, especially if you decide to get "brave" or if you are towing.

Thanks for the replies! Now I need to find out what is the cheapest method is to get those temps! Most of the gauges I see are very expensive to say the least.

#47 ·
Thanks for the replies! Now I need to find out what is the cheapest method is to get those temps! Most of the gauges I see are very expensive to say the least.
Yeah they aren't cheap. My brother bought a set of glow shift for his truck he got pyro (EGT) trans temp and boost with all the hardware and the pillar pod for like just over $200. I use ISSPRO and they are probably the best in quality but very expensive. I think Auto Meter is the middle of the road in the $300 range and are a better quality than the glow shift.

#50 ·
i love my dp. i've been running jody's tunes for about a year and a half now. i could not be happier. out of all my friends 7.3s mine always has run the best. the tow keeps egts way low, the econ is amazing. i **** you not i hit 24mpg last year cruising to NC. i hand calculated it 3 times because i thought it was wrong.

infact, i leave my truck in 80econ almost 100% of the time. cold or not. when i first put the chip in i would use stock while cold and then switch over but now it stays in econ unless i want to pass someone or smoke out a buddy. not a single issue with over a year of beating on the truck

oh, and my STOCK 200,xxx trans is still shifting perfect with jodys tunes.

needless to say, dont diss DP tuner, jody clearly knows what hes doing and on top of that he has some of the greatest customer service ive ever dealt with

#54 ·
My truck has ddmtuning HIDs and I run an F5 chip. Never had a problem with my truck.

#58 ·
I would have to stick with my F-6 over an inexpensive set of HID lights which I am not all that much a fan of to begin with.

#59 ·
I wouldn't trade my Dp tunes for anything else. Plus Jody is just an awesome guy and has great customer service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.