Turbo Upgrades? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Upgrades?

So I've read a lot about how to defeat the sweet surge/flutter and some of it contradicts itself. So I just want to make things clear.
From what I've read the cheapest way is a wicked wheel but it doesn't work all the time? And it takes a good 4-5 hours to install, can you do this without removing the turbo? And the easiest way is the ATS compressor housing but it has a 4" inlet. What intakes have a 4" outlet?
What are the pros and cons on installing just the WW, ATS and of course just going a little crazy and installing both?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 05:12 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinac View Post
So I've read a lot about how to defeat the sweet surge/flutter and some of it contradicts itself. So I just want to make things clear.
From what I've read the cheapest way is a wicked wheel but it doesn't work all the time? And it takes a good 4-5 hours to install, can you do this without removing the turbo? And the easiest way is the ATS compressor housing but it has a 4" inlet. What intakes have a 4" outlet?
What are the pros and cons on installing just the WW, ATS and of course just going a little crazy and installing both?
Thanks!
Not all the time I guess with the ww. If you pull the turbo then yes it could take that long otherwise you can install without pulling turbo shouldn't take more then a couple hours going slow. Not sure on all the intakes I have an AFE torque tube coming off the ATS intake boot to a tymar filter. I have both and am happy with it. No cons just lots of whistle and Im all for that!!!! Oh and no surge
Old 08-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Just pull the turbo, by the time you have the down pipe off, intake off and everything moved out of the way its two bolts and one more clamp... Then you can set it on a bench. ATS housing comes with a intake tube that runs from the turbo to the 4" connector at the CCV...
Old 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM

With pulling the compressor wheel, all the instructions say don't use an impact. Is there a reason for this? Will it screw anything up if I decide to use an impact? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Using an impact wrench can strip out the treads on the shaft. This is what you do:

If you have some miles on the truck, you might as well rebuild the turbo while your in there. A rebuild kit is like $80. So, $400-ish for the ATS compressor housing and $80-ish for the WW...and your almost guarnateed no surge.

Now....I went with just a WW and a 1.0A/R exhaust housing and I not had surge once since I did the work back in April. It took me about 8 hours total, 4 hours the first day and 4 the next. (I needed a 12 sided 8mm box-end to get the compressor housing off.)
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
I have heard that you can buy the ATS compressor housing without the tube that connects to the ccv, so my advice is to buy one from a reputable vendor that includes the 4inch tube if you choose to go that route. You can find em for around 400 bucks. Quite a bit more than a wicked wheel, but you don't have to take the turbo off to install the housing.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 PM

I dont see how an impact could strip the threads if you are taking the wheel off... Obviously I would not run it back on with a gun haha and how hard is it to rebuild the turbo? And other than the 12 point 8mm socket, are there any other special tools that I will need?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

The threads are really fine so be careful. Probobly the biggest reason they dont want you to use an impact is if you don't have it in reverse you going to do some damage. The turbo is really easy to rebuild. You will see once you get the turbo apart trust me
Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
It took me about 2 hours total to rebuild mine...that's with cleaning it too. It was my first one. Make sure you get a rebuild kit and make sure it has new seals and all. Also...goto the dealer and get new upper and lower pedistal o-rings. (They are like $12) Once you get the turbo apart, you'll see how it all goes back together. It's really easy.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Sorry, but I'm gonna hijack this for a minute. Ditty, when you went to the 1.0 exh housing, how did it affect the spool time? Was it noticeably slower? I'm thinking about going to a 1.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.