Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

question about bigger injectors

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins 
#1 ·
A few days ago I was talking to a buddy about my truck and telling him my plans to put bigger injectors, an oil pump and a few other things on my truck but he pointed out something that seemed too logical to not be true so I am hoping someone can explain. He was saying that as long as I can still blow excessive smoke with my stock injectors, then why should I need to push more fuel through? Because the smoke is just unburnt fuel. I know quite a few people upgrade from split shots to single shots, but shouldnt I be able to make more power with other upgrades (turbo, tuning, air, exhaust, oil pump) until I can no longer blow excessive smoke and need to push more fuel?
Thanks

#2 ·
I'd say it depends on where in the RPM band you're making black smoke.

My stock injectors with a DP Tuner 80Econ program spit lots of black smoke below 1,500 RPM, but almost none at 2,000 RPM and up.

So, I have more fuel than oxygen below 1,500, but not so much above 2,000.

That's my estimate, not substantiate by anything other than my knowledge of the combustion process.

#4 ·
Your boost kicks in which allows less black smoke because now you have more or equal air to fuel. Guys go to single shot injectors which are stage ones and up because the 99-03 trucks require more oil pressure to cycle a split shot injector rather then a single. International changed the HPOP in 99 to a 17* plate pump instead of a 15* to make up for the excess oil needed to run split shots. this is why people notice a increase in performance when they take out the splits and go to singles because now you have a pump that will make enough oil to fire ONE injector TWICE BUT only needs to be fired ONCE. With a good tuner you can get more power then any "canned" tunner off the shelf of the auto parts store. What are your mods?? This would help :thumb:

#5 ·
I'd say stay away from the roaling coal much as possible since you are over fueling, the excess fuel takes the lubrication of the cylinder walls which will eventually equals new motor :( i have to say though blowing smoke is fun but there is a time and place for it and in short time spans

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.